G5 USB + HP Photosmart = 0

D

drbrad

I recently bought an HP Photosmart 8450 printer for my G5, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the G5 to recognize the printer via USB. I can get it to print via Bluetooth, but you can't read camera cards via Bluetooth, so I need to use USB. I have spent hours and hours on this, talking with Apple (they insist it must be HP's fault) and with HP, who sent me a new printer, figuring the USB port must have gone bad, but to no avail. I have fixed permissions, no help. Anybody have any idea what is going on with this? I have tried different USB cables, no good. I am now on my second printer from HP, and I don't know whether to give up on this printer, or what to do.

I need to print out my Christmas Cards still! Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
did you install drivers for the printer? did you set it up correctly in the os using printer setup utility?

OP
D

drbrad

Yes, installed, reinstalled, at least three times.... When I get done and try to set up the printer in the OS, it just won't show up on the list of printers. Could this be the problem?

Macman said:
did you install drivers for the printer? did you set it up correctly in the os using printer setup utility?

OP
J

jeff75

Does the printer indicator light happen to power off when connected to the G5? Don't know if this would be a similiar issue, but I had a Epson 1670 that would power off evertime I plugged it into a USB port connected directly to the G5. What ended up working was connecting it to a USB port on the Monitor, I suppose a USB Hub may work just as well. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
drbrad said:
I recently bought an HP Photosmart 8450 printer for my G5, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the G5 to recognize the printer via USB. I can get it to print via Bluetooth, but you can't read camera cards via Bluetooth, so I need to use USB. I have spent hours and hours on this, talking with Apple (they insist it must be HP's fault) and with HP, who sent me a new printer, figuring the USB port must have gone bad, but to no avail. I have fixed permissions, no help. Anybody have any idea what is going on with this? I have tried different USB cables, no good. I am now on my second printer from HP, and I don't know whether to give up on this printer, or what to do.

I need to print out my Christmas Cards still! Help!

I'm not sure of the answer, and I have an HP Printer with my G5 which works fine..but..

In my general experience(Windows, Linux, and now Mac) HP products are the dumps....I've never gotten an HP product that I never had a problem with..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.