OSX 10.5.5 System problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro dual Quad core, 8G ram 30" Cinema
Brief summary of the problems I'm encountering. My system has been running fine with no issues at all. Recently I installed an update to OSX and a couple of other applications. Since then my system will hang on shutdown, restart. I have Firefox, Safari and other applications now hanging as well since these updates were installed.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Machine Specs:

Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8GHz
Number of processors: 2
Number of Cores: 8
Memory: 8GB
Bus speed: 1.6GHz

Software:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.5.0

I have jumped over from my windows workstation to Mac about 6-8 months ago and I should have made the jump many years ago but did not. I've been working with FreeBSD and Linux for 15 years now so the jump over to Mac OS X has been seemless.

Does anyone have any advice on this problem? I do NOT feel like reinstalling/configuring this box because I feel that the problem has been with the updates. Any help out there?

TIA,

T

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I can help you but I can tell you that I too had problems with the latest update to Leopard (10.5.5). It broke one of my applications (hurricane tracking program) and has injected instability into certain power settings that I use with an external monitor.

Most folks have installed this update without problems but there are quite a few reports such as yours and mine in other Mac forums. You might want to read through some of them on the Apple sponsored forum.

I had made a complete backup before installing the update so it was easily removed without difficulty. I'm back to running 10.5.4. I think I'll wait until Apple publishes 10.5.6 before I attempt to update the OS again.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm currently downloading the Mac OS x 10.5.5 combo as I write this. Once installed I will leave my feedback here.
Hopefully this corrects my situation. I must say that this is a major inconvenience for me but I'll take this over Windows any day!!!

My wife was a Vista freak and when I purchased a Mac book Pro for her she forgot about Vista after two days! I've converted 6 people already :)

My wife just said that she updated her Mac book pro and its now running slower. I'm going to fire my Mac book pro to see what version is running.

Thanks again!

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When all else fails, download only combo updater from Apple's web site as louishen advises. Run Repair Permissions, disconnect all peripherals except keyboard/mouse and disable antivirus, if any. open Downloads folder and drag combo to desktop, double click and install.

When finished run Repair Permissions again .

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it looks like I was 60% complete when the install decided to hang....</sigh>

The only thing I could do was reboot. I finally was able to get this installed and it still looks like I am having problems
with applications hanging.

I'm running a permission check now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
ok...a small diversion from the original question...if i have already done all the rest of the updates one by one...is is cool to run the combo update over it?

Reaction score
System Check

Well it looks like I was 60% complete when the install decided to hang....</sigh>

The only thing I could do was reboot. I finally was able to get this installed and it still looks like I am having problems
with applications hanging.

I'm running a permission check now.

Hey man,

it's time to try Onyx. (a must- application)
Titanium Software

go under the clean-panel and trash everything under the subpanel "user" and "system" (your system will restore and refresh in this way its cache- files)
Very functional and useful. You can write a applescript to launch this application from iCal, because Onyx does not include a programmable checkup-option. Beside this insignificant thing, try Onyx and let me know.
I wish you a good day..

Reaction score
ok, here it goes, I currently run a 2ghz macbook 1,1 intel core duo with 2gb ram and a 80 gb hard drive. i bought it two years ago with 10.4.6 installed. i, about a year ago upgraded to leopard, and since have further upgraded to 10.5.4 before all of it started. but a bit of history, just to be detailed:
I experienced a, what i can figure to be os crash in april. i went to shut down the computer a window popped up with an exclamation point and some words, didn't really think about it and truthfully was in a bit of a hurry. aren't we all. anyway, my computer would not do anything. i erased and reinstalled unfortunately and haven't had any issues since.
until friday. i wet to install mac office 08 and the software said it could not proceed due to me not running anything newer than 10.4.9. but was at the time running 10.5.4. i was on the phone with macoffice (microsoft) for an hour, tried everything in the book, safe mode ( of which my computer WILL NOT DO, then or now) resetting the pram and resetting all other sorts of stuff. i even ran the disk under lukewarm water.
i saw on this forum about 10.5.5, so naturally i thought maybe that would fix the mac08 problem. i proceeded to download and it wouldn't work. i read somewhere, it's in my history on my now dead computer about a patch for before and after the 10.5.5 package, downloaded that and proceeded with the process. i believe if i'm not mistaken i may have restarted the computer before i installed the 10.5.5.dmg. i can't remember. it's been a long frustrating couple of days.

i then called apple. my serial number is not in the system and they weren't much more help than microsoft, telling me i needed to see a mac genius in atl, i live 4 hours away from the closest genius.

all of this to say, i can't do anything on my computer except boot to the original install disc, that won't install, it won't archive and install, and i haven't attempted to erase and install but fear that won't do it either. i'm lost, and clueless about how to do anything else. i found a somewhat solution, but without being able to start in safe mode, it is no good to me. here is the link i found: [How To] Fix 10.5.5 Update Problems - InsanelyMac Forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.