Help with internet sharing via wireless macbook pro and in xp pro

Reaction score
Hi, need help in configuring internet sharinh via wireless from my macbook pro and my xp pro.
My mac is connected through an usb dongle.
Do i need software?
Thanks.

Arthur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
What do you mean your connected through a USB dongle? Is it the modem?

Reaction score
I'm currently sharing internet from an USB dongle 3G Modem to wireless connected computers with no extra program. It's enough to activate the Internet Sharing function in the System Preferences-> Sharing menu.Unfortunately the activation process is a little complicated:
1 - Airport must be active (System Preferences -> Network): on my MAC when the 3G connection is ON the Airport is usually disabled due to a behavior of the 3G control program (it creates a new Network Location on each connection)
2 - an ad-hoc wireless network must be created by means of the Airport Options button in the Sharing panel, PCs must connect to this network
3 - sometimes is needed to uncheck Internet Sharing and then re-check it in order to see and click a Start button, only after this I.S. is running

A further issue is that the ad-hoc wireless network does not allow to share files, printers and others. As a matter of facts is not possible to use a pre-existing network given by a wireless access-point or router (unless I'm mistaking something, corrections are welcome). This is not true when computers are connected via ethernet, here everything is working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.