Questions from a future switcher

M

Maxp0wer2004

Since i will soon be getting my Mac(for real this time) i had to ask some questions about it, and i cant find answers on Apple.com.

• Do Apple laptops have/use screensavers?
  • Can spyware get into Mac?
  • Does Mac have its own system firewall (like Win. XP SP2)?
  • Are there ever software errors (like it so often happens in Windows)?
  • Can i turn off Airport Extreme to save battery power?
  • Compared to a 3.2 GHz Pentium, will the Mac feel slower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. all macs use screensavers
2. no, or viruses either
3.yes, built in, all the protection youll ever need
4.once in a while, but easily fixed.
5.yes, though there are other better methods of conserving battery power
6.depends on processor speed, but a 1.5 and higher ghz processor mac will be smoother and most often faster than a 3.2 ghz pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
as a matter of fact, your avatar is of a built in mac os x screensaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. Yes, there are several "screen effects" installed by default, and more available for download.
2. So far, No, unless you deliberately put it there (To spy on your kids/spouse/employees, for example....)
3. Yes. In System Preferences, click Sharing, then click the Firewall tab
4. Yes, there are still software errors. Software is still written by humans, alas. But I would say ther are less frequent on the Mac, and usually less severe when they do happen. But they do still happen :(
5. Yes, the AirPort card can be turned off. There is an icon in the menu bar that allows you to do this, and I recommend shutting it off when you're not using it. Ditto with Bluetooth, if you have it.
6. Maybe. "Feel" is the right word, since this is kind of subjective. For me, most of the time, Windows is "snappier" than Mac OS X, but OS X is "smoother." If that makes any sense.

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Macman said:
as a matter of fact, your avatar is of a built in mac os x screensaver.

That avatar is actually a severely reduced screenshot of the same screensaver on my Windows PC, i actually asked about that screensaver on this forum some time ago.

technologist said:
1. Yes, there are several "screen effects" installed by default, and more available for download.
2. So far, No, unless you deliberately put it there (To spy on your kids/spouse/employees, for example....)
3. Yes. In System Preferences, click Sharing, then click the Firewall tab
4. Yes, there are still software errors. Software is still written by humans, alas. But I would say ther are less frequent on the Mac, and usually less severe when they do happen. But they do still happen
5. Yes, the AirPort card can be turned off. There is an icon in the menu bar that allows you to do this, and I recommend shutting it off when you're not using it. Ditto with Bluetooth, if you have it.
6. Maybe. "Feel" is the right word, since this is kind of subjective. For me, most of the time, Windows is "snappier" than Mac OS X, but OS X is "smoother." If that makes any sense.

1. I was wondering since it seemed pointless to have screensavers on a laptop, but i still wanted the Mac screensavers.
2. Only reason i would do that is to test out what i can do to kill spyware, but i dont see myself doing it.
3. Ok, good it has a firewall, since people often attempt to hack my connection.
4. Good.
5. I dont need AirPort since i dont even have any form of fast internet to use wirelessly, and i dont think it will have Bluetooth.
6. I understand what you mean. and....

Thanks for your help.

Edit// I forgot something. Is the software included with Mac(iLife, iChat, etc..) a full version or a demo only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
1. screensavers are pretty useful.. not really pointless.. like say you leave the room or something.. it'll make your roommates or whoever go awe in admiration..
2. not sure what you mean.. but okay..
3. firewall=good
4. blah
5. blah
6. blah
7. yes.. full version.. some might be demo.. but mostly full.

EY

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

i dont think they are demos wwell a least iDVD iMovie Grageband (my fav. for right know) and iPhoto arnt demo. and i do belive that is all the iLife. it also gomes with a few games lol the marble game is rather fun toplay with during class. but yea

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Ok, iLife programs were my main concern about demo/full version. I know that Microsoft Office is a demo.

I never thought screensavers were pointless, i just said that i didnt find a use for one if you can close the laptop.

And... i dont go to college or have roommates, i am 14 and my school doesnt allow laptops for some reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.