1st Gen Intel Core Duo (20"): Top of LCD has "Dripping Glue"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I don't know how else to describe it, and I found no other reference to this issue anywhere else.

Near the middle, at the top of the LCD is what looks like a brownish glue (I'm assuming it's glue, it could be anything), that has dripped down internally. It extends in a ragged manner, down as low as about 1/2 inch below the menu bar at the lowest point. Trust me - it doesn't come off with external cleaning, and this model has no glass. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it's some wacky manufacturing defect that has evolved over time, but it's really only noticeable at the login screen or any time when there's no wallpaper, or menu bar. I have Apple care, which I believe expires in around March of '09. So:

Any ideas what it might be?
Given that functionally, the machine is fine otherwise, and taking advantage of Apple Care would mean being without it, and who knows, perhaps a more serious dilemma than what I have now (you know how it goes - or can go):

Would you haul it into the Apple store and get it fixed? Live with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why did you pay for applecare if you don't want to use it? There's no way I would live with a defect like that. :Shouting:

Regards.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did you pay for applecare if you don't want to use it? There's no way I would live with a defect like that. :Shouting:

Regards.

You make a good point. I realize the idea of not using it, is very likely pretty silly. I wouldn't think twice about it in the event of a show-stopping hardware failure, but in this case, I'm just concerned that the disassembly, repair, etc, could itself be the beginning of a road to more problems. As an example: Ever see/hear of an automatic transmission that worked flawlessly after being overhauled? OK, well, maybe it works out in some cases, but I've heard so many servicing horror stories like, "I brought it in for _____, and now I have to go back because ______ is messed up", etc, etc.

I did just check my Apple Care status, and I'm covered until June '09. I think it's pretty likely that I will take it in, but I'm queasy about it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't think it's quite the same as an automatic transmission.

If I were you I'd have it fixed, what if you want to sell it on one day? You don't want to lose money because of a defect you could have had repaired for free.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's quite the same as an automatic transmission.

If I were you I'd have it fixed, what if you want to sell it on one day? You don't want to lose money because of a defect you could have had repaired for free.

That's true. Thanks to you and chscag for being the voice of reason. I'll give the Apple store a call, discuss it, and setup a time to bring it in.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I made an appointment at the Genius Bar at 2:00 yesterday. I was called at 2:10, described and showed Chris (King of Prussia PA store) the screen, and also mentioned that the SuperDrive sometimes sounded like it was going to chew up and spit out blank discs. He scanned the iMac serial number, basically said "no worries, we'll take care of it", and advised they'd call me when it was ready (they had the LCD panel, but not the optical drive in stock). I got a call around 3:00 PM today that it was ready! Picked it up tonight, and it's perfect. No more LCD issue, and in fact, at the same brightness setting, man, this thing appears to be much brighter! Anyway, it doesn't get any better than that. Repair cost had it not been covered by AppleCare? $1189.94! My cost was zero, and I can honestly say, I haven't had a better service experience in a long, long time. Needless to say, I'm very glad that I took it in. It looks great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.