Trouble Burning w/ Toast 9

Reaction score
Before, I used MacTheRipper and Toast Titanium 9 to rip DVDs and burn them to a DVD-R. I used the discs that could hold 4.7 GB. I noticed that some of the movies that I would burn would skip more easily since the file was 7.something GB and was compressed to a 4.7 GB. Anyways....I'm now using DVD+R DLs (8 GB). Now whenever I rip a DVD and go to burn it onto a DVD-DL in Toast, it gets about halfway through writing and then an error message pops up that says:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x09
TRACK FOLLOWING ERROR

I have no choice but to click OK so I do... Then Toast says this very briefly "Writing Lead-Out" then another error message pops up that says:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x05
CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

I click OK and it quickly pops up with the same last message. (x2)

Then it goes back to Toast and stops writing. The movie gets only halfway copied and one of my DVDs are wasted. I have the DVD-DL setting set in Toast before you burn next to the big red button. Can anybody shed some light here?? Please!!

Reaction score
I experienced this too. I found out most of my older CD-R & DVD-R was the culprit. I got some new discs and had little or no problem since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
From what you showed in the OP I think you have a dud disc. Every so often they pop up. As the above poster said, a different brand of disc or even just another disc should just be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.