ibook with very low airport signal

Reaction score
Hi!
First of all, I'm French and I'm a new a Mac user, so please go easy on me :)

I just got a second hand ibook G4 with an airport extreme card and I managed to connect to my Mom's wireless internet "box" (no idea what you call these things, it basically the one that was given by the internet provider, not made by Apple)

When I'm in the same room, I get 3, sometime 4 bars of signal. As soon as I move to another room (so let's say... 2 feet from the wireless box thing) it disappears completely.

It's an old house with very thick walls, it could be the reason. But I also have a PC laptop with a Linksys WUSB54GC wireless adapter and I get a good signal everywhere (55% upstairs)

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I'm a little worried since I'm leaving for Uni in a few days and if I have such a low range with the airport I'm not going to manage... Or is it because somehow the airport is not fully compatible with whatever it is my Mom has?

Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.