Best way to backup harddrive?

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing Leopard soon. I own a WesterDigital HD 500GB and I'm wondering what the best way to back up my harddrive is incase something goes wrong w/ the upgrade. So i simply drag 'Machintosh HD' to the external? is there better ways to do it so that I'm getting program settings, Library, etc things other than music/movies/documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
drag and drop may not copy all files, like hidden files.

use carbon copy cloner or superduper to make a full bootable backup to an external drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok cool. Carbon Copy Cloner looks like the way to go

Question: If I choose to clone will it reformat my external? I have about 100gb of files on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
Yes, cloning will erase the data on the disk because it will create an exact copy of your drive. Can you transfer the data on the WD drive to your main drive? How large is your main drive? If you use CCC or SuperDuper!, your cloned drive should be approximately the same size as the main drive. I partition my drives so that I can keep the main Mac OS X 10.5 partition relatively small and I store data on the other partitions.

Claire

OP
T
Reaction score
My main hard drive is 120gb (but I only have about 5gb left).

My external is 500gb and I'm probably using half of that.

I do alot of videos and such so thats what I have all on my external. So its not any option to put the external hard drive on my main drive

Does partioning this solve that? I'm backing up so I can install leopard. Would I have to partion anyway if i use time machine?

Or should I just get another external hard drive and use that soley as backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.