Boot-camp mystery...

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I wanted to install XP Pro on my 2.4ghz, 1gb RAM, 320gb iMac (so I could play a few games). I got a genuine XP Pro with SP2, which I understand is the minimum requirement.

I followed the instructions using the Boot Camp application, and I partitioned 32gb for XP. I inserted the CD, all goes blue, and I began installing the XP operating system.

I was asked to select a partition - I chose 'C:' - the 32gb one (it was a bit less than 32gb in the end obviously, but the right partition either way) and the installation continued.

However, for some reason, an entire stage of formatting the partition does not occur i.e. it goes from selecting the partition, to install.

The screen which allows you to choose FAT or NTFS never appears... the setup continues, and I am basically going round in circles, being asked to install XP from scratch time and again.

Does anyone know why this happens? I have followed the instructions to the word, and I still get this issue.

Would be very grateful for help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had this happen to me too. I was told that it's because I used an OEM disc, I did not. I used VLA media, certainly fully licensed. Other than that I was given no solution. I'm just running it in a virtual machine now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Paul88:

By genuine XP Pro SP2, are you referring to a full install version - either a MS boxed copy or a system builders OEM version? Either will work. If that's what you have I suggest you start over. If not, post back and let us know what it is you do have.

Go back to OS X, run the Boot Camp assistant again, select create partition, select RESTORE. That will remove the BC partition and restore the entire drive back to OS X. Reboot the machine.

Restart in OS X and run the Boot Camp assistant again. Select create partition and choose how much space you want for XP. I suggest something less than 32 GB unless you plan on playing very large games like the latest Flight Simulator from MS.

This time when you start the XP install, be careful to choose the partition labeled "Boot Camp" NOT drive C or anything else. Format as FAT-32 or NTFS. Allow the Windows installation program to reboot the machine. Do NOT press enter or anything else when the "boot from CD" message comes up on the screen. Windows will do its thing by itself.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies.

I have the OEM version as you described. I've made a note of your suggestions...will let you know how I get on!

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, so I have followed the instructions above and I am still having the same problem. After selecting the 'Boot Camp' partition, there is no option screen for formatting - it simply doesn't appear.

It goes from selecting the partition to use, to installing XP. There is no error message. The install completes, the machine reboots and the following text appears.

Press any key to boot from CD. . . . .

(followed by)

Disk Error

Press any key to restart

I waited ten minutes, and nothing else happened after this. Any further suggestions?! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yep, it's not formatting. Exact same problem I ran into. Good luck, if you find a solution post it up. I was unable to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.