SuperDuper

Reaction score
I am still learning my way around this Mac environment...

It is true that SuperDuper will only backup to a Firewire drive??

From their website: "Please note that SuperDuper! is not designed to back up to CDs, DVDs or Tape, and needs a location (other than the boot volume) to store the backup - typically a volume on an internal or external (FireWire) drive."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Are these drive any good??

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...-Drives_219519_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

I have coupons for Staples...so want to get something from there...

Personally, I only trust known companies when it comes to this sort of thing. It may not make a difference but there is a reason good companies are still around, they make good/reliable products. So for me, I'd rather pay the extra money for a product I know I have confidence in. I've never heard of Simpletech but they may be a good company, who knows? If you value your data, I would pay a little extra a go with Western Digital or Maxtor.

May I suggest:

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...-Drives_193955_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

There are some users reviews you can read up on as well. The simple tech has..0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD

."

I used it to backup to an external USB hard drive. works great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

From their website: "Please note that SuperDuper! is not designed to back up to CDs, DVDs or Tape, and needs a location (other than the boot volume) to store the backup - typically a volume on an internal or external (FireWire) drive."

SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner (similar software) can backup to a firewire external drive or a USB external drive. The only provision is the external drive be formatted to the Mac standard HFS+ and that is so the system can be booted directly from the external drive if necessary.

Download the trial version of SuperDuper and give it a try. SuperDuper is shareware and Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Be sure to read the help manuals so you understand what the software will do.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
I'm using that exact kind, 250gig but mines white and blue. In fact it's plugged in right now and im listening to my itunes through it. I would give it a 10/10. Amazing external hdd for the price and size. I would def recommend it to another user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SuperDuper is the go and firewire is much faster than USB2. Best way to run SuperDuper is registered as it is many, many times the speed of the unregistered copy and you can use a smart back up option, and a full drive backup takes about 16 minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.