Using wireless keyboard and mouse during restoration.

Reaction score
Hello Members,
I am new to this forum. I am thinking of buying one iMac. I am curious to know whether will I be able to replace the wired keyboard and mouse with the wireless keyboard and mouse, by paying the difference money?
Also I would like to know whether is it possible to use the wireless keyboard and mouse during the restoration procedure of iMac?
Please let know.
Thanks.

Reaction score
I just got a 20" iMac with wireless. The wireless version is $50 more, which is a savings over purchasing them separtely. You just specify wireless when you buy. They work great, IMO. The wireless keyboard is the same as the wired except it eliminates the keypad on the right. As far as the restore; all I can say is that I did a reboot from the install disk, in order to reset my admin password. That worked, but during the process, it asked me (in pictures) to install the batteries in the mouse. Since the mouse had already been working, this was a little disconcerting. However, I removed the batteries, reinstalled them, and it worked. So my guess would be that you can do a restoration with the wireless. You will be prompted on what to do when. If that doesn't work, I found the Apple tech support by phone to be good, you will get 90 day free, then can buy the Apple CAre plan if you want. Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thnks for your reply. I stay in India. When I asked the Apple authorised sales personnel that I want to take the wireless keyboard and mouse, he said that I have to purchase them separately if I want them. As they can not open the sealed box, so they are not able to change any accessories that is shiped in the box. Is that logic true?
Which figures out as I have to have both the wireless and the wired one. Is that logical in any way?

Reaction score
It's possible that the Apple product options and packaging are different in India vs. the US. When I bought mine at an Apple Store, the box was sealed, and it came with the wireless keyboard and mouse. So I'm saying that it comes packaged either way, and the one with the wireless stuff is just $50 more. If what they are telling you there is true, then yes you would have to buy separate wireless items, and you would have an extra keyboard and mouse. Just make sure that the iMac itself includes the wireless card. I'm quite sure that in the US, this is true of all new iMacs. However, I wouldn't take anything for granted. I am also aware of the fact that in the US, there are often electronic products and cameras, that are specifically for the US market, and come with full warranties, and that sometimes you get discount-priced items that are not for the US market, and even though they may be identical, they may not come with the warranty. Maybe you can check with another dealer, if there's one nearby? Or contact Apple directly online? Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
The wireless mouse and keyboard work via bluetooth, so the new iMac will have that installed.

OP
R
Reaction score
Steve A,
Thanks for your detailed and clear information, which helped me to understand the whole scenerio of the Apple's marketing policy and you need not to be sorry.

Reaction score
You're very welcome, raj. Good luck with your purchase, I know you're going to love your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as a suggestion rajusha use only Energizer Lithium batteries in the keyboard and mouse as they last longest. Rechargables are not worth the cost nor effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hello Members,
I am new to this forum. I am thinking of buying one iMac. I am curious to know whether will I be able to replace the wired keyboard and mouse with the wireless keyboard and mouse, by paying the difference money?
Also I would like to know whether is it possible to use the wireless keyboard and mouse during the restoration procedure of iMac?
Please let know.
Thanks.

All those things are a yes. I convinced my Dad to get a Mac, and he bought the wireless keyboard and mouse. And for the most part they do work in restoration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.