OS X glitch?

Reaction score
I asked this question in another forum, but never got an answer so I thought i would give it a try here.

While doing some cataloging and editing of a music collection I noticed an odd thing regarding re-naming files. Every now and then i would run across a file that would not let me re-name it until after i rebooted. I was using iTunes to do the cataloging, but I don't think iTunes had anything to do with it as I had an open window to the drive with the files and was doing the actual re-naming there, not in iTunes.

To head off the obivious, yes I know about permissions and locking files, but this was not the case. I used the "file info" function and made sure the files were not locked and were set to read/write. Yet, i still ran across a few files that could not be re-named until after i rebooted.

My question is why... is this possibly a glitch/bug/feature of OS X? Has anyone else come across this problem and can tell me what is up?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know if this is the case, but there is another file lock that is not apparent. If the file is in use you may not be able to change it, until it is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
if youre familiar with unix, i would suggest using the command line to try changing the file name to test your theory.

only 2 commands you'll need are:
cd and mv

OP
James
Reaction score
rman said:
I don't know if this is the case, but there is another file lock that is not apparent. If the file is in use you may not be able to change it, until it is released.

Yes, but the file was not in actual use. It wasn't loaded into iTunes at all.

OP
James
Reaction score
MacAddikt said:
if youre familiar with unix, i would suggest using the command line to try changing the file name to test your theory.

only 2 commands you'll need are:
cd and mv

Good idea, will give it a try next time i come across one that will not re-name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
James said:
Yes, but the file was not in actual use. It wasn't loaded into iTunes at all.
Besides, you can rename most active files under OS X, so it shouldn't matter whether or not it is in use.

Do you use Filevault? If you do, try switching that off unless you REALLY need it - it's pretty buggy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
now i have a very particular way of keeping track of files myself, but why dont you just use the ID3 tags in iTunes instead of renaming the files?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I have my music in Itunes I usually just right click on the file and do whatever right in Itunes. (And for those who don't know, Yes, you can use a Logitech Mouse in OSX and Right Click to your hearts content!!) I get so sick and tired of Mac Haters that say you are STUCK with a One Button mouse. Not true at all!

I have not ran into your problem as yet but if I do I will figure it out and get back to you. Only time I could not rename, ETC is if the permissions were set to read only but you have that covered. Will see if I can duplicate it.

OP
James
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
If I have my music in Itunes I usually just right click on the file and do whatever right in Itunes.

I have not ran into your problem as yet but if I do I will figure it out and get back to you. Only time I could not rename, ETC is if the permissions were set to read only but you have that covered. Will see if I can duplicate it.

Yes, i can change the name in iTunes, but I can not change the actual name of the file on the hard drive itself. As a matter of fact, it isn't a problem of iTunes, forget that. It is something i guess in OS X or something. Without iTunes open i can open a window and go to the hard drive where the music is and open a folder. Simply right clicking (yep i too use a logitech mouse) should allow you to re-name the file... most of the time it works, but now and then i come to a file that refuses to be re-named until after i reboot and then it will. It has done this now at least a dozen times over the last couple of days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry to repeat myself, but Filevault is OFF right?

OP
James
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Sorry to repeat myself, but Filevault is OFF right?

Yep, i just checked and it is turned off...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
that is funny u don't have control over ur computer.

OP
James
Reaction score
the_New_guy said:
that is funny u don't have control over ur computer.

Ya, it's a real laugh riot alright. We all sit around in a circle just cracking up every day about it. Haven't had so much fun since the last time i installed Xp, except maybe the last time I installed SuSE v.9.2 after Novell took it over...what a disaster to a good product that turned out to be...

Jeez, don't ya just love offshore tech support....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.