Partition Help please

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to partition my MacBook Pro into two parts, yet when I clicked partition and did everything in disk utility, nothing happened. It has said "modifying partition map" with the bar with stripes running through it for over an hour now. I want to quit and restart my computer but I'm not 100% it's safe to do so because the partition may or may not be taking place, should I quit disk utility despite it saying it has "operations in progress"?

The main reason I ask this is because when I tried to partition with Boot Camp, I kept getting an error that told me to "back up my disk (I do with Time Machine) and to use Disk Utility to format it as a single MacOS Extended (Journaled) Volume. Restore your info to the disk and try Boot Camp again." What exactly is meant by this and how do I do it? (if anyone has the time to go step by step or just give me a link, that'd be great).

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Use Disk Utility click on the Mac OS X volume and choose to restore it back to single partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.