MacBook will not sleep!

Reaction score
My MacBook is almost 1 year old and about a month ago it decided not to sleep anymore. As you can imagine it is annoying to have to shutdown every time i put the computer away if I don't want the battery to die. I've detailed the problem and things I have tried with no success:

Symptoms:
Computer doesn't appear to go to sleep when using Apple Menu - Sleep, by closing the lid, or as stipulated by the Energy Saving Preferences.

The screen does dim and go to sleep as it is supposed to, but the computer battery dies as if it weren't sleeping. Also the light on the front does not pulse.

Extra Information:
I have nothing connected to the computer via USB, Fire, or Bluetooth. I am running the latest OSX 10.5.5 and have the latest firmware update.

Attempted Solutions:
I have uninstalled all HP software as I read that it may have adverse effects.

I have verified and repaired disc permissions using disc utility.

I have turned the computer off, removed the battery, and performed the 5 second power thing.

Does this sound like a hardware problem? Or a software problem?
Help appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try creating a new user on your Mac, log into that user (log out all others), and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then something is funky with your regular user account. If it does persist... it could be a funky system-wide bug or hardware. Try this for now and let us know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.