iMic vs audio in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
Is there any advantage to using the iMic interface over my macbook's audio in port? I've noticed that when recording with a microphone the iMic gets a slightly louder signal (probably because you can toggle the low/high impedence signals), but aside from that...not sure whether usb gives a cleaner sound than the audio port. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Well, I'm a sound engineer and most musicians who want to do a quick line-out recording just for evaluating their performance later, use the iMic.

Most of them say the iMic sounds superior. That said, they are musos and not engineers. I have not tested the iMic, but I guess you can choose to take their word for it.

Personally, I would use the line in for "just messing around" recordings but use a proper external sound card for important recordings.

OP
analogscrewtape
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
thanks!...I do think the iMic gives you a slightly cleaner sound, especially with "line" level stuff (guitars, etc)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.