Problems with wifi

Reaction score
I have a G5 tower, dual drive, 2.0 ghz, OS 10.4. I used to be able to connect to my wireless router before without any problems.

Recently, my G5 doesn't connect automatically (unless I switched it off and switched it on with the control key pressed, and even then, it takes 4 or 5 tries to connect), and sometimes it connects automatically but it drops the connection.

I rebuilt my directory with disk warrior, thinking it might be because of that. But it still sometimes doesn't connect automatically. This just started happening about 4 months ago. I bought my G5 tower in 2005.

Could it be my wireless card? Anybody has problems with their wireless card like this? Do I need to replace my wireless card? Does the wireless card get corrupted?

Please help. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you think about replacing anything take the time to first check all your airport settings. Make sure nothing has changed with your router setup, modem, etc. Verify the settings with your ISP.

If all is OK, start to look for the possibility of signal interference. Cordless phones operating at 2.4 GHZ are a common offender. Some microwave ovens can cause interference. A neighbor's network, etc.

If everything checks out, you can then focus in on the wireless card. BTW, the card can't get "corrupted" but it can certainly fail or even worse, become intermittent.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try that. :D

However if it is the wireless phone that's creating a disturbance, I wonder why my nokia 81 doesn't seem to have any problems connecting to the wifi.

Nonetheless, I 'll try to move the wireless phone out of range and see how it goes.

Otherwise, I'll be back....:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.