Firewire Mini DV Connection Doesn't Work - Samsung VP-D381

Reaction score
I have recently bought a Samsung VP-D381 Mini DV camcorder (which claims to be mac compatable in the manual), and have just tried to connect it to iMovie to import a video that i have just recorded, only to find that Samsung do not have any software or drivers for the Apple OS...

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how i could get this to work?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I noticed you posted this same question in two other forums. I'll ask the same question as one of the other responders asked....

When you plug in the Samsung via the Firewire input to your Mac, is it recognized and displayed in the System Profiler or mounted on the desktop?

You do not need drivers or software from Samsung as your Mac already supports the format. It's a matter of getting the hardware recognized.

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

It is showing in System Profiler, as an 'Unknown Device' (see screenshots) and is still not being recognised by iMovie...

Any suggestions as to how i would get it to recognise what the device is?

Thanks

Mike

p.s. i just tried powering everthing down for 10 mins, and removing all power cables, but it's still showing as 'Unknown Device'

picture4.png

picture5.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like that particular Samsung Camcorder is not plug and play for OS X. If it's showing up in System Profiler as an "unknown device" the only way you can get it recognized by the system (or iMovie) is to install a driver.

Have you've been in contact with Samsung to see if they plan on supplying a driver for OS X?

I hate to recommend this to you... But have you considered perhaps using your Samsung with Windows? Windows, both XP and especially Vista are much better at recognizing hardware than OS X and usually there's a driver available.

I'm sorry I can't be of any further assistance to you. Perhaps Samsung will come through and supply a driver for OS X.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You don't need drivers for firewire since its a standard in video transfering. Your computer will send the same signal and receive the same signal no matter what kind of camera or deck is plugged into it. The difference is the encoding of the video. I don't know anything about the camera and honestly don't have time to look it up. I'll give a little bit of info before I go to class.

1) Make sure the format you have is compatbale with iMovie. When they say its Mac compatable it may mean it works with the computer if you have Final Cut.

2) If you have an HDV camera make sure your on HD in iMovie. If you have a DV Camera, make sure you are in DV mode in iMovie.

3) Make sure all connections are snug and everything is on in the right mode. If you have other cables try replacing them.

4) If you have to after replacing cables reboot your system.

Good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're saying the OP may be able to use that DV Camcorder even if it's not recognized by the system? As you can see from his post, it shows up as an unknown device.

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
CHSCAG - Thanks for your concise yet informative replies. I just found the following on the Samsung website...
Can I connect a Digital Camcorder to a MAC?
There are some camcorders that will connect to MAC's, but the majority will not work on the present operating systems OS10, 0SX, etc. Samsung have no software for these to work on the MAC machines. We can only refer you to Apple MacIntosh or advise of third party software that may be available.

So it looks like i'm going to have to contact Apple instead!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi:

Thanks for posting back. Let us know what you find out from Apple support. There may yet be a work around so you can use the Samsung. Good luck with it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Here is the answer

Samsung told me, there should not be this problem they make sure it works 100% with OSX Leopard. They said even though it worked through final cut pro, you will notice play back is very jumpy. By what they told me it was due to an inner fault with the camcorder. So all they could is offer a replacement or gave me advice to send it back to the retailer because there was a batch of the same camcorder that were faulty :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.