Garage Band, Need Help

Reaction score
So I have a Korg TR-63 and I have the USB cable for it that hooks up to the computer and keyboard. I can choose MIDI settings on the keyboard so that I can use it as a controler for the Garage Band instruments

now the problem I have, is that I can't seem to record the keyboard sounds into garage band. it only records as a controler.

is there a setting i can change so that i can record what comes out of my keyboard?

i dont really know the technical terms so this might seem confusing, but bottom line, i dont want it as a controler, i just want garage band to record what the keyboard has.

anyone know how? i think i've tried everything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
I think I understand what you're asking...you want to record via the sound banks that are stored in the KORG, rather than using the KORG as a MIDI interface.

Here's your problem -- you can't do that via MIDI. MIDI language isn't audio, it's a series of digital signals that "trigger" events in a particular program (like Garageband or whatever).

I have a Casio Privia and the only way I record from the sound banks in that thing is to go the old fashioned way: through the headphone jack and into the audio port (actually there are also audio outs on the keyb, but why convert a stereo signal to mono just to convert it back to stereo again?).

What other outs do you have on that KORG?...they're the only way

OP
P
Reaction score
the outs on the Korg include....

L/Mono
R
Individual 1
Individual 2

and then the MIDI

as well as a USB

and thats exactly what I'm trying to do, I have a Macbook Pro, is there an input jack on here?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Moved to a more suitable forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
the outs on the Korg include....

L/Mono
R
Individual 1
Individual 2

and then the MIDI

as well as a USB

and thats exactly what I'm trying to do, I have a Macbook Pro, is there an input jack on here?

Sounds like you want to go out of mono (L) unless you've got the appropriate cables to merge the L & R signals (I'm not sure what individual 1 and 2 are). Are these 1/4'' jacks on the Korg, or RCA, or what?

Macbook Pro SHOULD have an audio in. It's the one that ISN'T a headphone jack :)

On the schematic linked below the audio in is right after the usb ports

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3...fo.apple.com/images/kbase/303722/303722_1.jpg

OP
P
Reaction score
ya, so i bought a jack to jack 3.5mm cable to connect the Korg to the Mac Input yet on garabe band...no sound or signal dot.

I've tried changeing the Input source to Stereo and Mono but it's still a no go. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
ya, so i bought a jack to jack 3.5mm cable to connect the Korg to the Mac Input yet on garabe band...no sound or signal dot.

I've tried changeing the Input source to Stereo and Mono but it's still a no go. :Angry-Tongue:

a few things to try:

make sure in your garageband prefs that the sound input selected is the audio port, and not the built-in mic. It doesn't switch them over automatically. Also check that you've created a "real instrument" track in garageband and not a digital MIDI instrument track. There's also a toggle for "monitor," make sure that's on.

Also check in your KORG settings that it's sending a signal through the 1/4'' jacks. Some keyboards don't do this automatically, believe it or not.

And, finally, make sure you're not plugged into your comp's headphone jack. Not meant to be insulting, I've accidentally plugged the wrong hole many MANY times... :)

PS -- what cord did you buy? It's a 1/4'' mono to 3.5mm stereo, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.