• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MT Macs around the corner...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1ghz, 40gb HD, 768mb mem, Tiger
The much anticipated Multi Touch Mac Book and iMac should be on the market sometime in October.

Wondering when we will see MT Cinema displays.

http://macbooktouch.com/mactouch/
This site does not appear to be affiliated with Apple. But it looks legit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
call it a hunch but i really dont see this happening soon, or even being remotely affordable unless you are willing to drop what a macbook pro or more costs.

in which case, id rather have a macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
Hasn't this been assumed and denied for years?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
Uh-huh. Looks like someone was having fun with Photoshop.

lol.

thats actually a great idea.

im getting to work right away on shooping some type of toilet mac device for the spider experts.

Reaction score
It looks really cool and nice but it's just not gonna happen, yet. Apple will eventually shrink the Macbook down to nothing so that it can fit in your pocket but I don't think this'll happen till 2010 at least.

Reaction score
To be completey honest, why would anyone need this? I have a macbook and and imac and I dont see how a tablet like that would be usefull at all :\ Heck, I dont even like using my macbook without a mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
to me it depends on the size. i want to run OS X and only OS X and currently my only "legal" option for a small size is the macbook/macbook air. the air to me is a gigantic waste of money compared to what you gain/loose over a regular macbook. there just isn't a big enough difference for the dollar and loss of ports, HDD space, etc...

i have a G4 Tower (1.6GHZ) for a media and stuff in the bedroom, iMac (aluminum) for everything in the living room and they are all great but when it came to traveling my black macbook just didnt cut it for me and the air isnt that much smaller and lacks ports.

i just sold my macbook on ebay and i am now using a 2lb ultra-portable until Apple gives me something that i consider ultra-portable. the above links look like great ideas of what i would love to see.

i am even willing to pay up if it has the apple logo. although my current little guy runs as well as my macbook did and it was only $350 LOL

i hope that this is a direction that apple is heading

EDIT:
To be completey honest, why would anyone need this? I have a macbook and and imac and I dont see how a tablet like that would be usefull at all :\ Heck, I dont even like using my macbook without a mouse.

i am just the opposite. i have been using laptops for so long that i don't like using a mouse. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4gb, 500gb, 2.26 Duo. White iPhone 5, White iPad Mini 32gb
i personally would find it hard to sit down and use i can see it would be good for on the road and guess sales would be more directed towards that market. I wouldnt buy one but i know that once i see one (if it ever happens) im bound to want one.

OP
pcpage
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1ghz, 40gb HD, 768mb mem, Tiger
Multi Touch gives the user direct interaction with the software and elements making the the process fluid and natural. MT technology I could see replacing the mouse and mabye even the keyboard.

Rumours of the upcoming Apple multitouch devices are all over the web. And according to a wikipedia entry, Apple is trying to trademark the term "MultiTouch."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-..._iPod_touch.2C_MacBook_Air.2C_and_MacBook_Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Definitely a cool idea. I don't, however, see it happening this year. Maybe NEXT October. Maybe. MAYBE. It'd be way cool, though. Honestly, there is not much of a use for it, but it would still be cool. Maybe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i personally would find it hard to sit down and use i can see it would be good for on the road and guess sales would be more directed towards that market. I wouldnt buy one but i know that once i see one (if it ever happens) im bound to want one.

i have been trying out a couple of the ultra portables and although i can see how some would not like the small factor for everyday use but when i am in the office i have it connected to a large lcd running 1600x1200 and a mac keyboard and then grab it and go with the small factor for traveling.

this again would be great if i could have this option with an apple product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I would love this to happen, especially if the screen is ~10inch. Because I was thinking about placing a Mini in my car for the entertainment unit with a touch screen.... But this would be 10x better! But I think that it is wishful thinking..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not going to say it won't happen, but I'd be really surprised if Apple jumped into this market.

The Tablet PC, by and large, has been a commercial failure. Microsoft has stirred up the concept several times in the last 15 years, and each incarnation has pretty much shown that the ergonomics, UI and practicality are highly questionable. With multitouch, gestures, an accelerometer and a much better OS to start with, I can see where Apple might have an advantage. But I really think the concept is fundamentally flawed.

You have your iPhone-size device, which is almost as powerful as a notebook. You can do most of your core functionality from there (mail, contacts, appointments, browsing, mail, some games, etc). Then you have a notebook which can do just about anything else besides hard core tasks (like heavy image processing, video editing, etc). Between those two devices, I'm just not seeing a niche that needs to be filled. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I don't know if any of you that are excited about this have used a Tablet PC before, but I have - extensively. While the stylus and handwriting recognition are novel, it quickly wears off and you find yourself wanting to use it like a laptop. Especially since you can get a laptop in the same formfactor that has a standard, albeit smaller, keyboard and trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually what I think is more practical is a multi touch pad on the keyboards of desktops. That I'd really use. It's make me lazy sure. But much more efficient.

Mind you Apple is the king of making it's users lazy but really efficient.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually what I think is more practical is a multi touch pad on the keyboards of desktops. That I'd really use. It's make me lazy sure. But much more efficient.

Mind you Apple is the king of making it's users lazy but really efficient.

Excellent point. Adding multitouch capabilities to the existing lines that lack them would be a great addition.

Reaction score
I would love this to happen, especially if the screen is ~10inch. Because I was thinking about placing a Mini in my car for the entertainment unit with a touch screen.... But this would be 10x better! But I think that it is wishful thinking..

I can see me getting one if it can do all that macbook can do and it is easily usable. Also, the price has to be right. $900 you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
I wouldn't rule anything out especially with Apple but I mean anythings possible. It would probably cost you an arm and a leg for one of them but would be very cool also. It would be nice to be able to touch the screen and do all of this kind of stuff but I dont see this happening these next couple months but they still should be coming out with the new macbooks and stuff soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.