Terminal and X11 Dead After Latest Update

Reaction score
I just downloaded the latest security updates and iTunes 8 today. After doing so (at 10.5.5) I can no longer run X11 (does not even try to launch it seems) and cannot get a shell session up in Terminal. It almost looks like the "login" process is hanging. Anyone have this issue before? Can someone offer me advice or things to try? This is totally frustrating! :Shouting:

OP
S
Reaction score
Update

Update: Seems xhost is hanging. X11 when trying to come up spawns xhost which hangs. Going in through terminal which also hangs, I can CTRL-C to the shell, SU to root, and kill off the xhost entry(s). This allows X11 to come up.

Now, the $5M question. Anyone know how to get the mac to allow xterms to be brought up from another box without using xhost?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried just doing an xterm & in a terminal shell window. I have never used the xhost command the way you are trying to do. I thought that xhost is used in giving another system permission to write to your screen.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes

Problem with that approach is that Terminal itself is trying to execute xhost when coming up and hangs. I have to CTRL-C to get to my shell in Terminal even.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.