iMac: two screens?

Reaction score
Hey I just got a new iMac 20 in. And I was hoping to connect it to another screen and expand the "visual real estate" by having two monitors. However when I connect the other monitor the only option I have is to mirror the two screens which isnt what I want. Is there any way to have two monitors running and not have them mirror?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad-core 64-bit workstation
check your display settings

Go in to System prefrences > Displays

There should be an Arrangement button, if there isn't your mac only supports mirroring. sorry :p

if you see an arrangement button you can start fiddling around with resolution, as well as moving the dock to your external monitor.

"The Arrangement tab shows up if you have more than one display connected and your video card supports spanning across displays. It lets you pick where the two displays meet virtually and which one is the main display, and it also lets you toggle display mirroring off and on" -http://guides.macrumors.com/System_Preferences

good luck.
your dark over lord of madness

Cthulhu

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.