How much RAM can I install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I want my MacBook to run faster so I want to upgrade my RAM... I've been reading other posts and it seems I can only upgrade a certain amount depending on how new my MacBook is. How do I know how much more RAM i can install?

My MacBook...
MacBook2,1​
Intel Core 2 Duo​
2GHz​
1GB Memory​
667 MHz (BusSpeed)​

Thanks ahead of time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The information you gave is only partially helpful. Could you tell us when you bought it?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Little over a year ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
2gb officially, 3gb unoffically

Reaction score
MacBook 2,1 refers to either the late 2006 or mid-2007 revisions. (Apple.com has specs on all MacBooks) It has a Core 2 Duo with a 667 MHz FSB, unlike the newer ones with 800 MHz.

For the 667 MHz model, Apple says the limit is 2GB of ram, though i believe that you can install 3 GB (1 GB + 2 GB) on any Core 2 Duo Mac. The 3 GB setup loses a minor amount of speed through the loss of Dual Channel, but you can gain speed from having the extra 1 GB of RAM available to the OS and other programs.

If you only ever use one or two small programs and keep the total RAM consumption below 2 GB, then you won't see much, if any benefit from the extra 1 GB! Where the 3 GB configuration gains speed is when you are multitasking heavily so you exceed 2 GB of RAM usage, and when you use programs such as Photoshop, VMWare, graphics, digital audio and digital video programs, all of which can benefit from more than 2 GB RAM.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
thanks much to all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.