Icon problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MBP 4GB Ram Glossy Screen
I am having trouble changing my icons. I follow the steps Apple recommends on their website.....

1. Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to stamp onto another, just click the icon to select it.
2. From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I to open the Info window.
3. Click the icon in the upper-left corner of the Info window to select it.
From the Edit menu, choose Copy or press Command-C.
4. Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to replace.
5. From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I.
6. Click the icon in the upper-left corner.
7. From the Edit menu, choose Paste or press Command-V to replace the icon.

My problem is with step 3 no matter what icon file I select the icon in the upper left hand corner is always the preview icon. Now I can finish the steps and I can change any of my icons as long as I want to use the preview icon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I know this is a bit late but...

I am having the same problem. I can seem to figure it out. You are the first I have found that is having an similar problem. I have tried several different formats of icons. They are all showing up as preview. I tried it anyway to see what would happen and it deleted my dreamweaver icon. Now all I want to do it get it back. I am running OS X 10.5.6 on a dual 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5. I just wanted to check and see if there was any update you have heard of on this issue. I will keep checking around and let you know if I hear of a solution.

Reaction score
I also have this same problem. I have tried with three different icon sets to no avail. When I hit "Get Info" about the icon it always shows this:

Picture2-2.png

even though I can view the icon through preview or other means. I have tried copying and pasting that and just end up with this:

Picture1-4.png

As you can see, it has worked for some icons, but not for most. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Watch

I am having trouble changing my icons. I follow the steps Apple recommends on their website.....

1. Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to stamp onto another, just click the icon to select it.
2. From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I to open the Info window.
4. Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to replace.

My problem is with step 3 no matter what icon file I select the icon in the upper left hand corner is always the preview icon. Now I can finish the steps and I can change any of my icons as long as I want to use the preview icon.

Watch this there is something wrong with the sound for some reason but youl still get the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOHoVUFr9g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reaction score

I found the solution, to the problem. Watch this i made the video.
YouTube - Changing Icons

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.