Geforce 8600 256M GT now shows as Geforce 8600 512 M GT

Reaction score
So I'm running Windows XP 32bit via boot camp. Today I decided to update boot camp to 2.1. I have a 2.4Ghz MBP with 200 BG hard drive and Geforce 8600 256M GT video.

After doing the boot camp update my system now shows my video card as
"Geforce 8600 256M GT" Can this be true? I've heard that some companies use the same video card but limit it using software. Could this a case of that?

Has anyone else seen the same on their system?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand your question? Is your 512 MB video card showing up as 256 MB or is it the other way around?

Your video card (since you have a MBP) is dedicated and would not have shared memory as does for example a MacBook. If your MBP came with a GeForce 256 MB card then it only has 256 MB of video memory regardless of what's being reported by Windows.

If it is indeed a 512 MB card, then Windows is reporting it correctly. BTW, your post is somewhat confusing since you say 256 MB twice, but I think I know what you mean. :D

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question? Is your 512 MB video card showing up as 256 MB or is it the other way around?

Your video card (since you have a MBP) is dedicated and would not have shared memory as does for example a MacBook. If your MBP came with a GeForce 256 MB card then it only has 256 MB of video memory regardless of what's being reported by Windows.

If it is indeed a 512 MB card, then Windows is reporting it correctly. BTW, your post is somewhat confusing since you say 256 MB twice, but I think I know what you mean. :D

Regards.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that my mbp came with a 256MB video card, but after doing the boot camp update 2.1 it now says it is a 512mb card.

Reaction score
the same here.. just got a brand new MBP 2.4ghz and a 256mb 8600m GT.. but in bootcamp update 2.1 my DXDIAG shows 512mb of VRAM (in windows).. hummm funny.. but this would be useless.. after all.. the card can't really adress all the 512mb right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.