"New" Mac, OS?

Reaction score
I will soon be getting a Powermac G4 Quicksilver 2002:

1Ghz Dual G4
1Gb RAM
160Gb HDD
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 64mb.

Its only $200 which I think is fairly decent for this old Mac, and it will only be used as a secondary computer.

My question is: Tiger or Leopard?

I don't need Leopard, but I've kind of grown onto the new Finder, Spaces, and Quick Look. Also, I might want to use Time Machine or Boot Camp in the future.

Point being, I would like to load Leopard on it, but I won't bother if it won't run properly.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
tiger will run better

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both will run on that system, but you might find Tiger a bit faster with those specs. I have a Heavily modded Power Mac G4 Digital Audio and while Leopard runs fine, Tiger is a bit more snappy.

In the end it's up to you as both will run.

OP
godfatherrr
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, I think I'm still going to go with Leopard because certain features I just cant live without now, and I'd like to use Time Machine as well.

Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you go with Leopard do max out the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I will soon be getting a Powermac G4 Quicksilver 2002:

1Ghz Dual G4
1Gb RAM
160Gb HDD
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 64mb.

Its only $200 which I think is fairly decent for this old Mac, and it will only be used as a secondary computer.

My question is: Tiger or Leopard?

I don't need Leopard, but I've kind of grown onto the new Finder, Spaces, and Quick Look. Also, I might want to use Time Machine or Boot Camp in the future.

Point being, I would like to load Leopard on it, but I won't bother if it won't run properly.

What do you think?

Time Machine would be usefull to you, but you can't bootcamp a PPC Mac, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i had leopard running on a 1ghz 1 gb powerbook just fine no prob, didnt even notice any slow.

ram for those is generally easy to find. if you need some let me know I got some at work we can sell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I think you can only use bootcamp with the intel chips because of the x86 architecture. maybe parallels or VMware will work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
thats a great price for a great machine. I would go with tiger.

OP
godfatherrr
Reaction score
yes, you are correct, you can only use bootcamp (and Fusion and Parallels for that matter) on an Intel Mac. I dont know what I was thinking, but I doubt I would run Windows on this Mac anyway, so it's no problem.

--and i do plan to max out the RAM.

Thanks for everything guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
Leo will probably be fine on it.. I know I couldn't live without stacks now that I've gotten used to them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You can get Leopard, but I doubt it will run boot camp very well. That's just considering it's an old Mac, trying to run two operating systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You can get Leopard, but I doubt it will run boot camp very well. That's just considering it's an old Mac, trying to run two operating systems.

It's not an intel Mac... and with BootCamp you aren't running two OS's at the same time, as you are with a virtual machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's not an intel Mac... and with BootCamp you aren't running two OS's at the same time, as you are with a virtual machine.

Unless that is you run them in emulation mode. That just chews on RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.