• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The future of Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I had been discussing this topic for a while with my dad last night. So I figured I'd bring it here.

So, what do you think will happen in the future of Apple, and what do you think will happen when a new CEO takes over when Job's retires?

Enjoy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
My guess. Apple will take over. Become Microsoft. tick a bunch of people off and decline as Microsoft is now. Jobs won't be around forever. Although, the direct fate doesn't necessarily hinge on him. Besides, that's how technological life cycles work don't they?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there are so many variables, including the technological rise of India and China. my guess is that while apple is slowly eating away at MS's lead, any number of other upstarts or technologial breakthroughs and thier accompanying patent holders may blow both of them (and IBM/SUN/HP/etc) out of the water. who knows, maybe that net based workstation revolution is right around the corner...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's really hard to say, from my point of view the workstation market isn't a huge market.. at least profit margin wise, so you've already seen some of the traditional players bail from it. MS has the advantage in that regard as they only have to pay for R&D on the software, which is a much higher margin all in all.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i guess i'm talking workstation in philisophical terms - not actual "workstations" more like old, old-school IBM terminals, though obvioulsy updated and with some onboard storage - but likely more portable, or invisible (like set top boxes - or actual tvs with some internet browsing ability built right in, mini-"laptops" or mega-pdas, iphones, refrigerators, ebooks, etc).

the way things are going, with more business models going "free", this kind of makes sense. have you read the electric car article in one of the latest issues of wired? very intriguing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1ghz, 40gb HD, 768mb mem, Tiger
I think that MT technology will boom, and Apple is in the lead already with the MT touchpad on the Air and screens on the iPhone and Ipod Touch.

Microsoft has something similar, Surface, but it's technological use of cameras makes it unfeasible to use as screens.

I can see that Apple will change, once again, how users interface with the computer. They popularized the mouse. Next, they will popularize multi-touch screens, from Perceptive Pixel.

I think Apple will dominate the user and design market and Microsoft will dominate the business market.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think Apple will dominate the user and design market and Microsoft will dominate the business market.

so... status quo, eh? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
lots of smart people at the top run that company I would imagine. not just jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Steve Jobs is a true visionary. Apple today is reminiscent of the NeXT line of products. Steve pushes the envelop of technology, design and innovation. He truly thinks out side of the box.

I'm sure he has hired people under him that share the same Zen. Apple has culture. Microsoft and PC's have clutter.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Steve Jobs is a true visionary. Apple today is reminiscent of the NeXT line of products. Steve pushes the envelop of technology, design and innovation. He truly thinks out side of the box.

I'm sure he has hired people under him that share the same Zen. Apple has culture. Microsoft and PC's have clutter.

I agree. I think Jobs has surrounded himself with like-thinking individuals at the top. This is quite different from the first go-around, when Apple was just struggling to establish itself in the market, relying on execs from other, more mature industries. Phil Schiller, in particular, seems to share the stage with Jobs quite a bit. I wonder if he isn't the one being groomed to be Jobs' successor.

Anyway, Jobs has built a culture at Apple that won't soon be forgotten as it once was when he was seen more as an unstable/disruptive force back in the early 80s. Maybe I'm wrong, but I trust that Apple won't forget what happened to them back then.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That has always been my kind of thinking. I think Microsoft and Apple could team up to form some sort of software to allow Mac's to become more 'business friendly' (I really don't know how to word that any better). I would really like to see something like a version of MS Word for iPhone... this would really be the ultimate product for some on-the-go business people, especially those who don't want to carry around a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I have this nagging feeling inside me that Apple would go the route of Microsoft, especially with the hype over the iPhone and iPod Touch. And that Apple will no longer "heed the masses" but would be more profit-motivated, and when everyone starts to use Mac, there'd be nothing special about it anymore.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more profit-motivated, and when everyone starts to use Mac, there'd be nothing special about it anymore.

That is a really good thought! I never thought of that! But, perhaps, Apple will release a new computer like Mac that will be even BETTER than mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to see what would happen if Microsoft introduced their own line of computers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i don't think that would happen.

the console industry is a whole different animal, but one thing is mostly the same, you don't get rich off of hardware, it's all about licensing, peripherals, contracts, etc. MS is pretty comfortable, i doubt we'd see an MSPC of any sort unless the environment of home computing were to drastically change.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, i don't think that would happen.

the console industry is a whole different animal, but one thing is mostly the same, you don't get rich off of hardware, it's all about licensing, peripherals, contracts, etc. MS is pretty comfortable, i doubt we'd see an MSPC of any sort unless the environment of home computing were to drastically change.

....And, why does Apple make their own OS AND computer? Because Apple can develop the hardware, that's why!

If MS released their own line of computers, I don't think they would sell like hotcakes, just because the OS (And performance) matter most to people, for the most part. There are most likely people out there who would give these computers a try- I would, even though windows isn't exactly my 'favorite' computer software/ peripherals company. Also, chances are the actual product and built in software would NOT be made by Microsoft, (unlike Mac). Of course, though, Microsoft would have to make the hardware, i.e. CPU and such, and if I am correct they do not make processing components for computers. Some other factors that must be put into consideration is the technology and how it is laid out, if you will. By this I mean will there be a big, bulky, [and most of all ugly] CPU? Or would they develop it like the iMac and cram all into one, thin, all in one machine? Of course, they have enough money for R&D (Research and Development) to try these things, and other different layouts, but the bigger thing is would they want to try to market such an item like an all one? Apple has this unique to iMac, and would Microsoft be willing to risk their reputation into being "copy cats"? Most of all, though, they most likely couldn't price these kinds of all in ones much less than the iMac, could they? They obviously can't, unless, of course, the specs suck, and the OS was new, fresh, and good for the average person who just wants to have fun with their computers? What about compatibility, which would be important for people who want to use their old computer games that were XP compatible on this new OS? There would be so many factors to consider, and most are big factors that could change the computer completely, or perhaps even the whole computing INDUSTRY, like the PC did when it was first rolled out a long while back. I'll end this post here, and have others step in to throw in their 10 cents [two cents no longer works with these inflation rates].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple = the future of technology.

It will one day rule the market.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple = the future of technology.

It will one day rule the market.

So we think. Before Apple started out, I'm sure that's what people said about Microsoft. Ya never know, the next thing thing could be right around the corner-and it might not be Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So we think. Before Apple started out, I'm sure that's what people said about Microsoft. Ya never know, the next thing thing could be right around the corner-and it might not be Apple.
Actually I believe Apple predates Microsoft ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.