Apple Warranty Info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
What's the difference between the warranty that you get in the first year to the Warranty that you purchase (extra) for for the following 2 years. Is the level of service the same or do they differ.

I'm asking because as I understand it, the Applecare Protection Plan works for 2 years + the 1 year standard warranty. Therefore would it be wise to purchase the Applecare Protection Plan ASAP or just before the one year is up…

thanks for any help in advance…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This from the Apple web site here in the US. I'm sure it's the same in the UK.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

Regards.

From that Link they say that every mac comes with 90 day technical phone support. Does that mean that if I call them after 90 days (but within the first year) because my mac aint working (say the HD just died) they won't help me unless I pay (on a per-incident basis)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They'll help you if you give them your credit card number. :$ In other words they'll charge you a fee per incident - much like everyone else in the industry does.

That's one of the advantages of having Apple care. It extends the free telephone support to one year from 90 days. However, phone support expiring after 90 days does not mean you can't walk into an Apple store in London and have them repair your Mac under warranty. (Provided of course it's within the one year warranty period.)

Regards.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They'll help you if you give them your credit card number. In other words they'll charge you a fee per incident - much like everyone else in the industry does.

That's one of the advantages of having Apple care. It extends the free telephone support to one year from 90 days. However, phone support expiring after 90 days does not mean you can't walk into an Apple store in London and have them repair your Mac under warranty. (Provided of course it's within the one year warranty period.)

Regards.

Thanks for the info, I think I will purchase the applecare protection plan before the one year then.

so do all other companies (dell, hp toshiba) charge for technical support in the same way apple do…I never knew that, I thought its free for the whole year…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It varies from company to company but most like Apple have a limited time period where they provide free telephone support. After the free period is over they will charge for the call on a per incident basis. When I purchased my Toshiba notebook computer some time ago, I paid for an extended warranty similar to applecare. The extended warranty included one year free telephone support and two years additional free service.

I believe Dell, Sony, and HP also have very similar extended warranty coverage at additional cost.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.