• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

m4v wont play on windows media player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a teacher and I have lots of m4v movie files that I want to play at school to the kids but windows doesnt play it.
I am struggling to find a converter to covert these files (for free!)
Is there anything around? Can anybody help.
Many thanks.
Sandown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the windows box doesn't have quicktime installed does it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,
unfortunately not - the school doesnt use it for some reason.
It's proving to be a bit difficult!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
First off... are these .m4v files DRM-protected (meaning you bought them off iTunes)? If they are, then you'll have to get iTunes and Quicktime installed on the computer at school, then authorize them to play back those files with your iTunes account.

If they are not DRM-protected, then try changing the extension from .m4v to .mp4. These are the same type of files (mpeg4), but Apple introduced te .m4v extension to differentiate between mpeg audio and mpeg video. Hopefully Windows Media Player is smart enough to play mpeg formats. if not, there are plenty freebies, like VideoLan Client (VLC).

OP
S
Reaction score
great - thanks.
they are not drm protected I presume as I did not buy them from i-tunes.
I will try changing the extension.
Many thanks indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.