5 Bars, but Constantly Scanning?

Reaction score
My Mac's signal comes wirelessly via Extreme and Express.

I have several Mac in the house that all get 5 bars and fast loading times.

Mine gets 5 bars, yet it constantly scans for the signal, even though it says it is set on the correct household network. Pages load slowly, the usual heartbreak of a slow connection speed.

:(

What gives?

George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You say "via Extreme and Express" .....

Is that using the extreme as a router and the express in bridge mode?

Which one are you connecting to?

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't know!

I thought the signal was automatically sent to the Express by the Extreme and the computer it up that way, since it cannot reach the Extreme without the Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
I've noticed this problem too from time to time. I usually power cycle the airport extreme when it gets really bad and turn off/on airport on my comp.

Also, you mention that all the other macs in the house get a fine signal but yours doesn't. Well...what kind are all of the macs, and is yours an "odd one out" at all? May or may not matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
My scans all the time but it's never caused any problems for me. Could the issues be unrelated?

OP
G
Reaction score
Problem began with Time Capsule?

I briefly owned Time Capsule. (Not anymore!)

When I installed its software, it disconnected me from the network. It wanted to be the home base.

In any event, Time Capsule is gone. Kaput. (Very slow backup, even with cable hookup.)

I have done cold restarts on my Express several times, telling it that I want it to join the existing network to extend its range.

If I put a laptop next to my computer, it hooks up with a strong signal. But my computer does not. Rrrr...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mine has 5 bars and always scans. It's just looking for other networks, things like that. Your Mac, correct me if I'm wrong can't connect to two routers at once and use their connection. It connects through one access point to get on the network. At least that's what they told me at the Apple store. So I'm assuming one of the routers is messing up the signal the other is broadcasting, which is confusing your Mac, because it's detecting two routers on one network , and it's trying to choose which one to connect to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When I have that problem, turn router off and let stand for a minute or two and restart. When all green lights, including wireless connection, go to System preferences and turn Airport on from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.