Initial switch with older machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
What would be the minimum machine that would run OS X?

Due to a cash issue I don't think I can get the new iMac or PowerPC but I'd like to start the move over to Apple.

I see that powermax.com has a lot of older machines for pretty decent prices but I don't know which machines will run which OS.

Reaction score
A rumor going around says that next tuesday Jobs is going to announce a new $500 mac, might want to wait to see how that looks, since old used iMacs and Powermacs sell for ridiculous amounts.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
mynameis said:
A rumor going around says that next tuesday Jobs is going to announce a new $500 mac, might want to wait to see how that looks, since old used iMacs and Powermacs sell for ridiculous amounts.

This does sound interesting.

Which of the older machines can run OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
most g3s will run osx with enough ram, the more ram the better, 128 is the minimum required, but Id suggest at least 512 or higher. including g3 ibooks and pbooks, powermac g3, imac g3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Check www.lowendmac.com you'll find any info you need.
Most G3 Macs will run OS X natively, some need a few tweaks before running OS X. Everything with a G4 will run OS X right out of the box.

One thing you should keep in mind is that OS X performance is very dependant on memory, 512MB being the minimum to work smoothly with it, no matter which Mac it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
You can get refurbished new-type (1.25 GHz) eMacs on the Apple website for 650, and eMacs have been tested to perform EXTREMELY well for their power, coming dangerously close to the iMac G5s in some areas. It really just depends on how much you're willing to pay. If you want to go less than 500, then you may want to go eBaying and look for an old Sawtooth, or a G4 Cube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I'd say wait until next Tuesday without making any major decisions...;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
Thanks for all the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
mynameis said:

Is there a site with more information on this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.