Memory Damaged Macbook

Reaction score
A little over a year ago, I had spilled some water--only a drop--on the keyboard of my Macbook right by the caps lock and tab key area. I spilled by moving a water bottle away from the computer that my roommate had left there because I didn't want it to spill. I could have killed myself, I was so ******.

Anyway, since Apple could tell it was water, the fix was not covered and was told my only option was paying for a new motherboard. My computer wouldn't turn on at all until I discovered that with only one memory stick in, it would work. So, I bought a 1-gig memory stick and only use that.

My computer has been slowing down lately, and I would really like some way to be able to put back in two memory sticks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Have you tried putting a known good stick of ram back into the suspected bad slot since?

If it still doesnt work, most likely wont be any fix other then replacing the motherboard, However depending on the age of your MacBook you may be able to pick up a refurb or used motherboard for cheap and replace it yourself or find someone with experience to do it for you. Check out ifixit.com for parts and instructions. Or Ebay.

I seem to remember a company someone mentioned here that will perform none warranty work on Apple computers that is significantly cheaper then having it done by Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried putting back in working memory to no avail. Darn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route. If I were to replace the motherboard, could I go for a faster core 2 duo. Right now, it only has the 2ghz core duo. Can the older core duo be replaced with a core 2 duo?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If one memory slot is OK and the other is not working, it's probably because the drop of water shorted out contacts on that slot. Anyway, to answer your question....

You would have to replace the MB with an original as the older CPU can not be replaced with the newer version.

Why not try to sell your machine on eBay or Craig's list with the notation that one memory slot is not working. Perhaps you can get enough for it to buy or at least put a nice down payment on another MacBook. Apple sells refurbished units at a good discount.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.