Apple Remote not working!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I woke up to quite a strange problem today... My Apple Remote is no longer working with my Mac Mini! I tried all the controls, including launching front row, and the volume controls - but no go...

I even tried it in Windows BootCamp under iTunes, but it still wouldn't work..

I tried pairing it in System preferences, but again, it wouldn't recognise my apple remote when i held down the Menu+fast forward keys for 5 seconds...

The weird thing is, it works fine with my iMac on another floor (out of plain sight from my Mini..), and it isn't paired with the iMac or anything...

Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Maybe your IR sensor on the mini is disabled? Check System Preferences > Security to see if the IR sensor is enabled or not.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, its enabled... I tried disabling it and re-enabling it, but it still didnt make any difference...

Its so strange, coz it was working fine yesterday, and I hadn't done anything special in the last 24 hours lol..

Thanks for the reply though... Any other ideas what it might be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM
maybe your infra red sensor is covered on your mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dead batteries?

You can check by pointing the remote at an iSight or other digital camera and pressing a button... if it still works you'll see a little blinking dot on the camera's screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Says it works fine with another Mac. I guess it means that something wrong with the IR sensor on the Mac mini. Unless of course he has covered it as fash says. (the IR sensor is right where the CD slot is btw)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.