Can not delete files from External Hard Drive

Reaction score
A few months ago my computer blew up on me, so I converted from windows to Mac. I had the old hard drive removed from my old computer and created an external hard drive out of it. Once my Mac had recognized it I tried to delete a few files which I no longer use, however some folders have a locked padlock in the lower left corner and I get a message: error code -61.

I am trying to keep all my photos, media files and documents but would like to get rid of program files etc which relate to my old computer. Can anyone help me????

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the drive is likely formatted NTFS.

your ideal move is to copy all of the items you want to save from this drive to either your mac, or another external. then reformat the old external as either HFS+ or FAT32 (if you'll be sharing the drive with a windows machine and have no files over 4 GB to store). Then move your data back to the old external.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am a bit of a computer mong... How do I reformat my external hard drive? I have copied all my old stuff to my Mac.

Kind regards,

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
with the drive connected, go to applications folder > utilities > disk utility

you will see your mac's HD and the external on the left hand side. Select the left most selection for the external (this will be the drive itself, not a partition.
select the partition option, choose your number of partitions, size of partitions and file system.
Keep in mind that if you frequently use this drive with a mac and a windows pc, FAT32 may be your best option for file system unless you plan on storing HUGE files.
There are ways around this, but that requires installing apps on the pc or the mac depending on which other file system you go with (HFS+ or NTFS, the second won't be an option on your mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Hey just wanted to thank you Eric for the great post. I just found it using the search function and it worked like a charm.

Reaction score
Hitting the "command" and "I" keys will bring up the information about the folder and simply uncheck the "Lock" box and you're good to go.

Reaction score
i am a new user of mac book pro. a few days back i was a able to delete contents from my external hard disk & copy content in external HD with out any problem but now i am unable to delete contents form the same external hard disk as well as copy file in external hard disk. after checking i found my external hard disk is of ntfs format. Is there any other way to delete contents form the external hard disk & copy content in external HD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mac OS X can read NTFS drives but not write to one without third party software. You're options are either use something like PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows. The other option is to use Disk Utility to format the drive to HFS+ extended journaled. If you go this route be sure to copy any important data from the drive first. Reformatting removes anything that is already on the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.