Passwords

P

psychotoe

I trust everyone had a great holiday!

My question is how do I password protect my mac. I would like it to prompt me every time I take it out of sleep and or if I restart it.

Also in iChat, I would like it to prompt me for a password every time I connect. I know that there is a setting where I can check off log in automatically but I don't have it checked, but still when I start iChat and click connect it will just connect with out prompting me.

Any instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

OP
D

Desolate One

In System Prefs under power management... or wait, that's how MS describes it rather. Well it's the icon of the lightbulb. ;) You can set it to prompt for a password any time it comes out of sleep/screen saver, etc. I have mine set that way. As for iChat, not too certain about that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
System Preferences -> Security

Check the box for Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver

for iChat you probably saved it as a keychain.

Go into Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access

It will be listed as AIM:(username) just delete that keychain and it will prompt you for your password

OP
P

psychotoe

Fantastic!!! Thanks for all your help, it all worked!!!

trpnmonkey41 said:

Check the box for Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver

for iChat you probably saved it as a keychain.

Go into Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access

It will be listed as AIM:(username) just delete that keychain and it will prompt you for your password

OP
G

gesteves

trpnmonkey41 said:

Wow, I've been looking for that since I got my PB... I just gave up and used Fast User Switching to go to the login screen everytime I shut the lid...

OP
D

Desolate One

Whops! A bit off there wasn't I :eek:

I wish I had my iBook @ the office!

OP
B

Badger

As additional protection you can require a login password instead automatically opening an account session on startup/restart. Go to the System>Accounts panel>session options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.