CD Stuck in Macbook

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

First post here(I think...registered a while ago) and I've got a problem. I was doing some monkeying around with my mb for the past few nights. Installed Leopard on an external hard drive to get some space. When I installed it, the install cd got stuck. I searched and found a few methods. Tipping the mb got it out last night.

Today I put VMware fusion on the EHD, and installed xp home so I could do some gaming, because I couldnt get lotro past the firewall in Vista on my internal boot camp partition. So it installed fine, and that CD came out fine, no problem. I tossed in the LOTRO install disk and blah blah blah, tells me to put in disk 2. So I tilt the laptop, didn't work. Searched the methods again, came up with the other methods. Let it cool down, then started it up holding the trackpad button down. It tries to spit it out like 3 times then boots into my internal mac partition. I've tried to kick it out with internal mac, external mac and vista - nothing works.

I'm not shoving crap into my hard drive. Sorry.

It's never done this before. I don't know what it is. It makes alot of loud noise when I hit eject, pretty brutal clicking noise. It's definitely trying to kick it out.

I don't know what to do. Getting really frustrated. I didn't think installing software would screw up hardware. I just can't ignore the coincidence of installing all this software right before the problem showed up. I can't send it in to apple because it would cost a lot of money and I need the laptop for school.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
It could be caused by a hardware defect, and hence be covered by warranty.

Call Apple and see what they have to say. The Genius bar might help too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
i know you don't want to shove anything in there but this happened to my mac mini before. I dont think there were any vigorous noises though....soo this might help. All i did was insert a business card and make the disc stop spinning, and thus the disc ejected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Boot up holding the trackpad button down until the disk comes out.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's off the one year apple warranty. Didn't buy the extended warranty, which looking back now was stupid. But oh well.

I slid a business card in there and tried to eject it, nothing happened. Should I put the business card in there and then boot?

I already tried the trackpad method, it tries to spit it out three times then boots to my start up disk.

Is there anyway to check to tell me if the drive isn't working properly?

OP
R
Reaction score
Does anyone have a decent link to the macbook 2,1 firmware for the superdrive? I think that may be where my problem lies, except wading through the apple firmware pages is like trying to swim in turtle poo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bring it in the Apple store. I had a similar problem, and they fixed it for free.

OP
R
Reaction score
I hate being a student :smack: first hiccup i've had with this puppy so far...i hope it's not an expensive fix

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.