MacBook acting weird and doing noises

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Hey.

Lately my MacBook (mid-2007) started to make problems.

First, on one shiny day the OS crashed.
I took it to the apple store and they told me my computer hardware is fine.

Than I erased the disk and re-installed OSX 10.5.
Installed all the updates and software all over again.
And my MacBook sometimes while working, just freezes for like 3 seconds and makes weird noises that sounds like it's from the Hard-Drive.

I ran disk permissions fix, disk fix, almost every option available from Disk Utility and everything seems to be fine, same did the guy from the Apple store.

I also updated to the latest firmware available.

I also have to mention it all started since the day I upgraded to iTunes 8 (same day it was released).

What's the problem? what can I do?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you run Disk Utility, did you check the SMART status at the bottom while clicking on the hard drive? Does it say Failed or Passed for SMART?

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you run Disk Utility, did you check the SMART status at the bottom while clicking on the hard drive? Does it say Failed or Passed for SMART?

It says the SMART is "Verified".

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'd start making a backup of your HDD sounds like it's going to fail soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can really say without having your machine in front of me is, just because it passes the SMART does not mean the HDD is not messing up, but a lot of times it will fail that test if the drive is really messed up.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.. the HD really died just this moment, doing loud and incredible noises here.
I did backup all my data all along with Time Machine so I'm covered with that.
I'm just disappointed because I didn't think Apple hardware could die so fast, I have it only 10 months, I have PC's that run for couple of years now and didn't do any trouble...

I'll try going to the Apple store see what they can do though I already been there and they gave me a very hard time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop drives have a higher failure rate than larger desktop drives from all I have seen. Apple uses the same brand drives other people use. Did you ever see what brand the hard drive was? Some Seagate's were dying and apple seemed to switch to Hitachi's.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Laptop drives have a higher failure rate than larger desktop drives from all I have seen. Apple uses the same brand drives other people use. Did you ever see what brand the hard drive was? Some Seagate's were dying and apple seemed to switch to Hitachi's.

Yup.
Mine is Hitachi's, 120GB.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VERY interesting. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
HD problem. I don't think the download of iTunes has anything to do with it, just a coincidence.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.