Problems connecting two macs to same router

Reaction score
I have a cable modem connected to a hub. for two years, my g5 imac has been connected to the hub as well as my roomates pc. neither of us have ever had any problems. recently, i've tried connecting a powerbook through the same hub. when i open safari there is no connection so i go through the network diagnostics (end up restarting the modem and hub) and the internet begins to work, however, i lose connection on my imac. i go through network diagnostics on my imac, get internet connection, and lose it on the powerbook. any ideas whats going on?

a little extra info:

-my roomates been out of town so i dont know how his connection has been affected

-i called cox (my isp) and they assured me it was nothing to do with them.

-I've tried two different hubs and had the exact same results

-!!!often the powerbook will show green lights for "built in ethernet" "network settings" and "isp" , but red lights for "internet" and "server"

any ideas/advice would be much appreciated

-edit: originally i referred to my hub as a router, sorry for the stupid mistake and any confusion it may have caused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
are you using static or dymanic ip addresses from the router?

if the router is set up for dynamic, check your macs and make sure they are setup for dynamic also.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You sure it's a router and not a hub?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
R
Reaction score
i'm sorry, all of you are right, it is just a hub. what difference does this make?

also, thanks for all the replies already

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Each computer has to have a separate IP address. A Hub or even a Switch networks computers together but does not work like a router with a DHCP server and hand out IP address's for each computer.

What Cable Modem do you have? Just checking to see if it might have a built in router like some DSL modems do.

OP
R
Reaction score
Each computer has to have a separate IP address. A Hub or even a Switch networks computers together but does not work like a router with a DHCP server and hand out IP address's for each computer.

What Cable Modem do you have? Just checking to see if it might have a built in router like some DSL modems do.

how would i solve the ip problem?

the modem i have is this one:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=74fc51f6-2b3c-4a96-a6b7-90e4e321738a

ambit speedstream U10C018

it's the one cox gave me when i started with them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.