wolfenstein crashes. any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000054

any idea what this means or how to fix? There is no game update, so thats not an option.

this game crashed in panther, and now tiger too. Not a big deal, but i'd like to fix if possible. This is return to castle wolfenstein. An old game I know, but still the only game I play.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a great game, I used to play it on my PC until I got into DOOM.

Anyway, it looks like from the error that Wolfenstein is trying to access an area of memory that's not allowed. Sure appears it's not compatible with Tiger (or Panther). Maybe time to retire it?

Regards.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would almost consider retiring it if I found another game I liked as much.

I use to love doom and quake... the older versions... pre OSX. They were my favorites way back when.

I had the doom III demo and quake 4 demo for mac and neither played very well on my imac.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have wolf version 1.1.. just for fun, I copied the folder, and installed the 1.41 update which is also years old (has not been updated in years.

the newer version crashes with no error on screen.... just quits. console shows this: (still looks memory related? Im not sure). Or bad programming? or not panther/tiger safe?

Wolfenstein MP(650,0xb836bd40) malloc: *** error for object 0x80d00910: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
Wolfenstein MP(650,0xb836bd40) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Wolfenstein MP(650,0xb836bd40) malloc: *** error for object 0x80d00910: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
Wolfenstein MP(650,0xb836bd40) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

what bugs me is I paid $50 for this game when it came out in 2002 or so.... it's been updated ONE time. To a beta version. And no updates since! :Shouting: :Shouting: :Shouting:

It's clear that ID software or activision or whoever owns the game these days has NO intention of updating it for the Mac.

I thought OSX was suppose to make mac gaming better?

honestly gaming for the mac has not changed much... most developers seem to see little $$ in making mac games... that is the bottom line at the end of the day imho.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
like you said, may have to think about retiring the old game :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.