• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

To non-switchers...

D

Desolate One

After reading through the "When did you switch" thread in the Switchers Hangout I've noticed there are quite a few native Mac users. I was just wondering, considering the huge market PC's have in the home, how did you guys get started with Macs? Were your parents Mac users thus you got into it? Were you amazed at Oregon Trail and when it came time for your folks to "further" your education you insisted on an Apple?

Just curious. I just enojoy hearing other's stories. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
Desolate One said:
After reading through the "When did you switch" thread in the Switchers Hangout I've noticed there are quite a few native Mac users. I was just wondering, considering the huge market PC's have in the home, how did you guys get started with Macs? Were your parents Mac users thus you got into it? Were you amazed at Oregon Trail and when it came time for your folks to "further" your education you insisted on an Apple?

Just curious. I just enojoy hearing other's stories. :)
I used to hate computers in general. I fell short to believing the computer nerd stereotype. I became a computer freak after a buddy of mine gave me his old machine and hooked me up with the internet. Eventually I started taking a liking to the Macs this was like 4yrs ago. I always searched for a used one to get started with but nothing really came of it. I was satisfied with windows 98. Then a year later I left my previous job for my current job Software Sales. I got to see a Mac first hand work in action. Since then i've been hooked. Dont get me wrong I still use me Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
used Apple II's in first grade and been using Apples ever since

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
We use iMac G3s at college for graphic design work, I really enjoyed using them and as everyone knows Macs are great for graphics anyway. So I got an Imac G5!

OP
D

Desolate One

edgefusion said:
We use iMac G3s at college for graphic design work, I really enjoyed using them and as everyone knows Macs are great for graphics anyway. So I got an Imac G5!

Prior to that were you a home PC user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, I consider myself a computer user, in general. Neither PC-only nor Mac-only...

I grew up more or less with the development of the computer world, my first being a Commodore C16, that was replaced by the Commodore C64. When the 8bit aera was over, I got an Atari ST, which I used for a very long time (even after Atari's departure from the computer market). For those who don't know, the Atari had a WYSIWYG user interface (today known as GUI) which was pretty similar to the Mac OS at that time. PCs back then still were DOS, with something backpacked called Windows 3.11... It was totally crap, compared of what I was able to do with the Atari. I never really got convinced of Windows, but as I had to evolve, i had to go the Windows way for a while, not able to afford a Mac. I was always fascinated by Apple, their ability to live along with the big Microsoft, who steadily made other computer manufacturers fade away.
I had some old 68k and PPC Macs to play around, but they were just too old to be useful as main system.
After going through the complete Windows series, and playing around with Linux, I just had enough of the vulnerable and notoriously unstable Windows and the very interesting, but not userfriendly enough Linux.

So I finally bought a recent Mac, which I use as my main computer, and don't regret it any single second. But yet I use Windows from time to time, either because i have too (at work) or because I want to (play some of my games).
I definitely prefer the Mac, and would always suggest one to anybody who wants to buy a computer, but I don't blame people who prefer PCs...it's everybody's personal choice...

OP
D

Danster

i went to the lil place where they teach you microsoft office i had never used computers so didn't know what windows was etc. Then after about a year i was thinking of buying a pc for the net and my tutor was telling me he was thinking about getting a mac and reccomended me 2 one and was telling me all the pro's Mac's have like video RAM no viruses and i started researching them and bought one
and i am sooo glad my tutor reccomened me 2 them otherwise i would of had a £1000 paperweight :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Danster said:
and i am sooo glad my tutor reccomened me 2 them otherwise i would of had a £1000 paperweight :D
IMO you got that right!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.