Oh dear, oh dear........the rant

Reaction score
simplistic overview of my mac experience:
1. April 08 - switched to iMac 2.8
2. Very impressed with all aspects of mac ownership.
3. After some OS updates, getting weird things happening with iCal.
4. Ask local store "genius" for help/info.
5. Told - "never seen that before, you should re-install (archive and install) OS.
6. Did as advised. All went well until the final reboot, when the system asks for your admin password. It wouldn't accept the password. ANY password!!
7. Went to local Apple store (lucky there is one, cos email/phone support is useless) to try and illicit some sort of help. Remember, I now can't access the internet!!
8. Very friendly, very nice people, but help is via me sitting at one of their iMacs, accessing the internet.
9. They finally acknowledged that they would help me if I brought the iMac to the store. Fair comment.
10. I decided to attempt a backup restore via Time Machine. It worked.
11. Now I am back where I started, with my original iCal issues. (other threads exist about them).

As a switcher since April 08, I have grave concerns. I have NEVER been in this position (in over 20 years) with a windows set up. I know windows has it's faults and that's one of the things that made me look at Apple, but I am afraid that Apple are no better, practically, than any other computer manufacturer.
Don't get me wrong, I want this to work, but perhaps the hype is just that - hype.

Let's hope I can sort this out. I have spent a lot of hard earned in the Apple store.

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you restored from a backup with the effected issue you'd simply pick that issue up. When was your backup taken? Before/after the iCal issue?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what is the ical issue?

OP
N
Reaction score
OK guys, thanks for the interest.
Correct, I am now back where I started with the original iCal issue.
That issue is that when I try to add an event, I am not able to set a time. I can set the date but not the exact time. Where the 24 hour clock should be in the event window, is replaced with the date. So I see the date twice!!
Weird huh??
But even worse, is the fact that Apple's archive and install procedure, somehow messed up my login parameters.

N

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have done more Archive and Installs than I can count and never a messed up password. It's the Admin password it's after. You can boot with the OSX DVD and reset the password to something else if you want. Boot holding down the C key so it boots from the OSX DVD and when you get to the installer, check the tools dropdown menu (I believe) and look for reset password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
No offense, but suddenly Windows is better than Mac just because of a few problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Your iCal issue is probably because you've messed up the date & time formatting settings under System Preferences.

System Prefs > International > Dates > Customize and then check the short, medium and long date settings. Repeat for the time options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Man, what a terrible computer! I'll tell you what, I'll trade you a 2001 Dell P4 for it straight up so you don't have to deal with that iMac anymore, lol.

OP
N
Reaction score
Oh dear. It seems I have upset a few people here.
The idea of the post was to try and get some help, but some people seem to think that it's a moan. Wrong!!!!
I was just trying to outline my experiences.
Fortunately, I got my help and after some delving have sorted out my iCal issue. Thanks go to Aptmunich. Europe wins again.
Enjoy your macs.

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
glad your problem has been resolved, there is always someone here with an answer :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Oh dear. It seems I have upset a few people here.
The idea of the post was to try and get some help, but some people seem to think that it's a moan. Wrong!!!!

posts beget the responses they deserve. yours was a mild rant, you even titled it so yourself, got a couple snarky responses and some relatively quick remediation (by experience, not a region).

feel free to think people are coming down on you for no reason whatsoever. you'll just be wrong. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Did the 10.5.5 update fix your issues?

OP
N
Reaction score
Johnthemacgeek,
I haven't upgraded yet - too much trauma for one week! JOKE!!!!
the iCal prob was a setting in the international time section.
Guess it was my problem. I must have played around with it at some time.
Fortunately there are people on this forum who are willing to help newbies out.

Diversifying a little bit, somebody mentioned previously that they had done quite a few "archive and installs". It didn't work for me regarding loosing my admin password. But why would you need to do many "archive and installs"? Unless you are some kind of system administrator?

Thanks to most of you.

N

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.