Use on lap?

Reaction score
So I'm very very new to using a laptop, and admittedly from the name I would assume that it is safe to use on your lap even if it gets jostled a bit. But I've still been wondering is it safe to use a macbook on your lap (assuming it will get jostled a bit) with a spinning hard drive? It seems like doing this might damage the hard drive...
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I always use mine on my lap, and all is fine, does get quite warm but no prob it seems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It's fine, I do it all the time. And also something to think about is that they don't really call them laptops anymore.. this is mostly due to the heating issue that most all portable computers have.. so most companies are calling them notebooks now. Kind of a legal thing since people are getting upset when they get so hot on their laps :)

But yeah I have a little lap desk that I use with mine, and the hard drive has protection against jostling etc.. so you're quite safe. Even if you drop the thing, it has protection against that also.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2530

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
most companies are shying away from the term "laptop", typically opting for "notebook". i don't think apple actually calls the macbook a laptop at all.

this has less to do with jostling as it does with overheating the notebook and the potential overheating of your flesh, as there have been lawsuits initiated by people who say they have actually been burned by some models.

that said, i have very occasionally used my macbook on my lap (but far prefer a good lapdesk). one thing to keep in mind is to not restrict the rear vent at all. you may also look at running a temperature monitor app to keep an eye on the internal heat of your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I've never used mine anywhere BUT my lap.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just don't move around too much when you have a CD in the super drive unless you want a large gouges in your CD. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Laptop hard drives are pretty tough nowadays. You've gotta shake that thing fiercely while it's running to cause any damage to the hard drive, and with the drop sensor built in, you're more likely to break the screen or the casing than you are the hard drive if it fell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HHD, Dual-Boot Windows XP SP2
cooling and hdd protection

yea just get a fan application that overrider defualts for the fan speeds and it will never get hott, and the hard drive won't get damaged by jostling it's the cd's you want to watch out for, and keep the back air vent open at all costs, you close that and your macbook will heat up really fast, i had to put a fan by it for this one game cause my processer cpu hard drive cd drive were all maxed out and the thing was pushing 90 degreess, which is like 30 degress higher then hi for me, i average about 50 degress, and 70 when using intense grapphics and 90 for huge games (on windows side, lolz)

hope me input helps yousa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Nah, not a problem. Just a word of warning though - it can get warm, so make sure you're wearing trousers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeh I am also using it in my laptop after all it is laptop and is for to use in our lap....

i would challenge you to find anywhere on apple.com that apple actually calls the macbook line "laptops".

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Black 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HHD, Dual-Boot Windows XP SP2
ditto #2

ditto #2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I dropped mine once, and it's still fine. You have to assume that Apple would know people want to use them on their laps, therefore they put protection on the HD, so it's not just spinning around in there openly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
From Apple:
Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/care/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.