Can Virtual PC recognize input devices on desktop?

Reaction score
I have Virtual PC for Mac (version 7.0.2) and I'm running the home edition of Windows XP on it. I also have the Mac G5 (OS 10.4.11, Tiger edition).

I have a universal remote control that can be edited in the Windows platform only, but when I connect the remote to the Mac it does not appear within the Windows desktop or remote control software on the Windows side.

Is there a software patch that allows third party plug-ins to appear on the Windows XP desktop within Virtual PC for Mac?

There is some sign that my remote control is recognized within Virtual PC for Mac (VPC).
It is acknowledged within the following pathway: pc settings - usb - device in use. The "device in use" is my remote control as connected by a keyspan adaptor.

Despite this acknowledgement, the remote control software within Windows XP doesn't recognize the external device, and says so with this message: "RC (remote control) device not responding. COM1 and COM2 opened but no response from RC device."

Related to this message, I have noted that within the PC settings window of Virtual PC for Mac, the COM1 and COM2 port settings indicate "none," even when the remote control device is physically connected to the Mac computer.

I'm not sure if this level of emulation requires native hardware support, but it does look like VPC is at least trying to acknowledge this usb external device.

As far as I can tell at this point, the usb connection should either work or not work within VPC. That is, I don't know if there is a "fix" for this situation.

Thanks for the tips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.