I accidentally deleted my OS :-(

Reaction score
By accident, when attempting to install windows on my iMac 24" 3,06 Ghz, I reformatted and installed (failed installation) to the partition where the MacOS were located.
Now I'm unable to reinstall MacOS.
Can anyone help me?
TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
sounds like you need to startup from the osx install dvd, and reinstall osx again.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

you do have backups of your stuff right?

OP
O
Reaction score
That is correct. I have to reinstall from the OS dvd. I don't have any backup, because it's only a couple of days since I got the Mac, so there is nothing installed that needed backup.
My main problem is that I'm not able to install from the Mac OS dvd.
In the Disctool menu, I'm able to see the hdd, the partition that is reformatted to NTFS (where the original OS were) and the rest of the disc.
The tool doesn't allow me to delete or repair or do anything (all choices faded)
So here I am without having a clue what to do :-(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you could buy a new HD, swap it into your mac, install on that, then use the original drive externally - and reformat it FAT32 or HFS+

OP
O
Reaction score
I followed the instruction..........after booting from dvd, I choosed language, next, accepted licence, and got to the select destination screen. The "Option" button is faded down, so it's not clickable...............

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
most osx users would format as a mac os extended (journaled) drive.... disk utility wont let you format as ntfs, so not sure how you got that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
IF you are really stuck, download an Ubuntu live cd, boot up from that and try and let linux reformat the drive

then try os x reformat again

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so... i was kind of hoping this would come out in the wash, but since it hasn't...

why were you loading windows directly onto an imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Ubuntu- the way to go here.

OP
O
Reaction score
IF you are really stuck, download an Ubuntu live cd, boot up from that and try and let linux reformat the drive

then try os x reformat again

I have the Ubuntu cd ready now, do I choose install ubuntu? or is it some other way to reformat the drive?
and where in the process do I stop?
I'm unknown to this.............
TIA

OP
O
Reaction score
Problem solved!!
Thanks for the advice using Ubuntu, it solved my problem. After installing/formatting with Ubuntu, I got the option "GUI" avilable, that's what was needed to reinstall MacOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro dual Quad core, 8G ram 30" Cinema
Ubuntu to the rescue again :) Glad you were able to get past that hurtle! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
that happend to me when i tried bootcamp and accidentally mounted windows on my mac partition and when i tried to stop the installation it was to late, and i had messed up the particion for mac i couldn't even install OS X because of the partition problem, so what i did was go through installing complete windows to create a partition again because the hard drive had the partitiones messed up lol so when i finished the installation of windows i when back to using restore dvd and it finally recognized the hard drive and just restores my baby back to its original state, i didn't use bootcamp again :p lol don't need windows anyway

Reaction score
I have same problem now(((
i tried to install windows xp.. and it seems like i deleted mac os as well..
i tried to reinstall mac os.. but it doesnt show and recognise the internal hard drive...
u were talking about Ubuntu, but i have no idea what it is.. and how i can use it..

thanks a lot in advance.
julia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi Julia!

You should be able to select "Tools > disk Utility" from the menu bar whilst the installer is running. Then completely erase the internal drive and the installer should find the harddrive again.

Reaction score
thanks a lot))
it really helped)
gosh.. and i spend one hour on the phone with the support guy, who didnt even said anything about that.. grrrrr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.