Is 512MB of ram enough??

R

rawkus

I am thinking of buying a stick of 256mb and I was thinking if this is enough for my needs. I mostly use the iBook for web browsing, microsoft word, dvd watching, photoshop, itunes and quicken. On my windows laptop, it only had 512mb and it was perfect for what I wanted to do. So my question is, should I get an extra stick of 256mb or wait and get 512mb?

OP
I

IChing

rawkus said:
I am thinking of buying a stick of 256mb and I was thinking if this is enough for my needs. I mostly use the iBook for web browsing, microsoft word, dvd watching, photoshop, itunes and quicken. On my windows laptop, it only had 512mb and it was perfect for what I wanted to do. So my question is, should I get an extra stick of 256mb or wait and get 512mb?

photoshop is memory hungry even having 1gig on my desktop pc, 512 stick can be the same price and just as good as 256 so do a search on prices on memor,y saw a 1gig stick with good reviews $159, 1yr. guarantee, me
1 gig $219 lifetime. Music apps and such more memory is always better. do not buy another 256 and see what you can get.
do good searches
"memory is made for all by all" ICHING

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Wait to get 512MB because it will be well worth it. If you get 256MB, there will be one point where you wished you had more,no matter how patient you are and you will have to get rid of it to free up the slot. 512MB is so cheap these days so there's no reason to get it. If you do get 256MB, then there are a few techniques you can use to restore your iBook back to when you first got it because laptops do tend to slow down after a few weeks of use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I had the exact same situation. I run pretty much the same programs as you are running. I had my ibook shipped with 256, and was gonna add another 512. Check out newegg.com I found a 1gb stick of ram for 197, and thats including fedex shipping. It worth the wait to get as much ram as posible. An additional 512 will make a huge difference, but remember the more ram you get the faster the ibook will run. You may have more programs that you want to add later on that will take more ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.