Norton Utilities v8

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
I had made an attempt to launch Norton Utilities v8 from the disc. But for whatever reason, either holding down the "C" key or even setting up from the System Preferences to launch using the Nortons disc, it would not launch the disc system software.

I recently installed a CD/DVDRW drive into my G4 Sawtooth with 2 - 120GB Hard drives. Everything works fine. I can read CD's and play DVD's. But I can't understand why the Norton's disc will not launch.

Also, if I open the Nortons Disc Doctor or Speed Disk application, it does not recognize any of my Hard Drives. I don't understand it, when they are visible on my desktop.

The Nortons v8 (not 2008) says it's operational.

What's the problem?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe Norton works will with OS X. I know that is does work will with Mac OS 9 and less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
norton was my favorite app back at version 3.x (many years ago)..... but it went downhill imho since then. I've not used anything norton for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what is the date on that disk, is it 2003 or was it created in the 1990s?

OP
A
Reaction score
I believe it's 2001-2003. Maybe I read it wrong, I thought it was compatible with OSX 10.3.9. Maybe it was only good up until 10.3.0.

If Nortons is no longer the Utilities program for us Mac users, what is currently being used today that everyone likes?

I'd hate to spend the money if it just sucks. I'd rather put it towards an application that works up to high standards.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Free apps like MainMenu and Onyx should do all your maintenance needs

as for speed disk, OS X defrags itself so there is no real need for such a tool

as for anti-virus, its not essential, but again you can always use the open source ClamX

OP
A
Reaction score
I was looking for an Anti Virus because I had some "programmer" stuff show up on my screen and the computer froze. I forget what type of error it was.

That's what made me want to run Nortons, until I realized it's not working.

Where would I find those apps (Main Menu & Onyx)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.