CD-RW trouble

Reaction score
I have not been able to use the CD-RW for some time and can't find the driver anywhere (matshita 8221) on the net. What can I do to rectify this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ATAPI devices generally don't need a driver, just CD burning software. Can you elaborate a bit as to the nature of the problem?

OP
A
Reaction score
Put in a disk it clicks and ticks and spins at about half speed for a few seconds and then shuts down click and ejects. I tried to boot with original os x disk while holding C and it reads enough to know disk is in but wont run. I've heard about reflashing the drive but don't know how.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Put in a disk it clicks and ticks and spins at about half speed for a few seconds and then shuts down click and ejects. I tried to boot with original os x disk while holding C and it reads enough to know disk is in but wont run. I've heard about reflashing the drive but don't know how.

I don't believe you have a software or firmware issue there. Sounds like it's a failed mechanism. If you're out of warranty, you may want to take a look at replacing it. The best place to start would be ifixit.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.