power cord problem

W

wahdiatme

ok so recently i've been noticing a problem with my power cord. it seems that after it's been charging and charged my laptop to full power it just shuts off, and i have to unplug it completely from the wall for it to start charging again and turn green. why does it quit working like this from time to time? it's always after it's been charging for a day or so. (i leave my powerbook plugged in all the time)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
*cough* nice avatar *cough*
I think theres something in the energy saver settings that makes it shut off any external charging to protect the battery and save energy once its fully charged, chack that, also,
have you recently reset the pram or repaired permissions?

OP
I

IChing

If you closed the lid on your powerbook then I might be able to see what the problem is (just kidding) My cord cuts out too, found that a quick pull out will reactivate the imput plug, sometimes the the angle changes the power connection,
or charger itself gets too warm so I remove the plug and start again....It's told that you need to unplug and let your PB run down for it's battery's sake...

OP
W

wahdiatme

Macman said:
also, have you recently reset the pram or repaired permissions?

i have no clue what any of that stuff is.. i only know how to use my computer not anything extra.. haha :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, again, nice avatr, lol, moving along, shut down your mac, start up holding down command+option+P+R and hold til the mac chimes twice, then releaseto reset pram,
to repair permissions, open disk utility located in utilities in applications, click on your hd in the left column, and click repair permissions, after its done, restart your mac.
Note: after resetting pram, your clock may be wrong.

OP
W

wahdiatme

Macman said:
ok, again, nice avatr, lol, moving along, shut down your mac, start up holding down command+option+P+R and hold til the mac chimes twice, then releaseto reset pram,
to repair permissions, open disk utility located in utilities in applications, click on your hd in the left column, and click repair permissions, after its done, restart your mac.
Note: after resetting pram, your clock may be wrong.

ok did that, by doing so what will it do for my comp?

and another quick question.. a lot of times after i've just restarted my computer or woke it up, my hard drive image on my desktop has moved from the top right corner to the bottom right corner.. what causes that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pram stores certain settings having to do with display settings and the like, also energy settings and all this is stored in NVram, non-volutile ram, pram parameter ram, it basically stores settings and info about settings, mac os x s unix based and uses permissions, permissions tell you mac what to do and how to do things and what software can access/do what. for more in depth info, look at apple.com/support. you should repair permissions about once a month or whenever a problem occurs, after installing software/updates, and when your mac is acting a little sluggish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.