Spore Install

Reaction score
I have a GMA 950 Macbook and was looking to install Spore on my windows partition using bootcamp since it wont work on the OS X side of life. My problem is I have a small partition size and only have 2.5 GB remaining on the windows partition. So I was thinking that I have an 8GB Jump Drive that is relatively empty and would fit the game. I tried this with the creature creator and everything worked fine. I know of the DRM issues with spore and would only be playing the game on my computer even though it would be portable.

Is it possible for me to install the game this way?
Would there be any downsides?
Would plugging in the jump drive into other computers (for small file storage), but NOT playing the game, cause any issues with the DRM?

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you sure it won't work on the OS X side? I was looking at it the other day in Target and noticed that all of the discs said "Mac / PC", indicating that the disc came with both versions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Are you sure it won't work on the OS X side? I was looking at it the other day in Target and noticed that all of the discs said "Mac / PC", indicating that the disc came with both versions.

Yeah, the reason it wont work isn't due to the operating system, its due to the GMA 950 graphics chipset. For spore to work on OS X it requires a higher graphics setup:

ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

But the GMA 950 will work if your installing it on windows. Which is very frustrating...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, the reason it wont work isn't due to the operating system, its due to the GMA 950 graphics chipset. For spore to work on OS X it requires a higher graphics setup:

ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

But the GMA 950 will work if your installing it on windows. Which is very frustrating...

Huh. That is interesting, thanks for filling me in. Sorry I don't have any advice to offer you as I don't own the game (yet). Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.