Processor Speed vs. RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
Alright I've decided to go with the Core2Duo iMac (vs. a PowerMac G5) but can't decide whether or not to get (both from ebay btw) a 2.66 Ghz 20" with 2 GB RAM or 2.4 Ghz 20" with the full 4 GB RAM. I'm going to be video editing and using Adobe Creative Suite primarily. I'm currently leaning toward the more ram since 260 Mhz doesn't seem like a very large deficit in the grand scheme of things.

Any advice, is my logic completely flawed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Yes, I think it is flawed. The 2.66Ghz will give you faster processing, upgrade the memory to 4GB and you will have a great machine

OP
QDaMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
True, RAM is the cheapest upgrade.

Reaction score
Yeah, remember when you're buying this iMac, think of what CAN be upgraded, since you are limited to what exactly you can put in your computer. Since the CPU is a pain to install (believe me, I've done it, voiding my warranty), might as well go with the sure shot for the install. You can always upgrade your RAM later on, doesn't necessarily mean you have to upgrade it out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.