Panther Install Question

• Thread starter christopherlenn
  • Start date
C

christopherlenn

I have OSX 10.2.8 on my G4 Dual 1.0 Ghz tower. I use mainly audio applications (Protools, Peak, etc.) on this computer. I want to upgrade some of the audio software, which requires that I upgrade my OS from 10.2.8 to 10.3.5. I have heard conflicting information, so I would like help with the following.
1.)If I use the archive and install feature, will I lose my software applications?
2.)If I choose the archive and install, I have read ("Tracking the Big Cats" by Jim Bates) that it would be best NOT to Preserve User and Network Functions, if you have many Unix-specific applications. isn't the Mac Unix-based, and therefore ALL my current applications are Unix-specific?
Thanks All!!
Happy New Year!!
:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. no, all will remain, apps, users, settings, files, etc.
2. yes mac os X is unix based, no, all apps are not unix specific, I think only the apps that use x11 and x-code are unix specific, so if your not developing software on your mac, it should be ok.
Though its usually best to do an erase and install when going from one major OS to another, ie. 10.2.x to 10.3.x. it can cause conflicts and oter problems down the line.

OP
C

christopherlenn

Vincent-
"Though its usually best to do an erase and install when going from one major OS to another, ie. 10.2.x to 10.3.x. it can cause conflicts and oter problems down the line."
The full erase and install can cause probs down the line?, or NOT doing the full install?
Also- So I SHOULD preserve users and network settings; would there be any harm in not preserving them-starting from scratch so to speak(and as close as possible to a full clean install as is possible under the archive and install selection)
cl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
perserving user and network settings will cause no problems, its installed drivers and extensions for 10.2.x that may and sometimes will cause problems later with drivers or extensions installed for 10.3.x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not really, its just smart, to prevent any possible problems, but it only causes problems if you install lots of soft/hardware after the upgrade that installs drivers or extensions
that will conflict later with your old stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.